REVIEW: Yamaha EAD-10 LIVE Performance

Nic Burrows

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed in a live situation that if you plug your monitor feed into the aux in it all comes out of the main outputs making it useless if you want to send the drums to FOH.
Not sure if the click also comes through the main outputs too.

simedgoose

Reaction score
That’s because the Aux In was designed to be used for plugging your phone in for playing along to music.

EAD was not originally designed to be used for live gigging - it was us drummers who discovered it could be used for that in many situations.

Originally EAD was just designed for home practice, home recording, teaching etc. If you want to have your monitor feed mixed in you will need a mini mixer for your IEM. And no, it can’t be changed on a firmware update as it is hard wired.

The click can be routed to master outputs or headphone output or both.

Nic Burrows

Reaction score
That’s because the Aux In was designed to be used for plugging your phone in for playing along to music.

EAD was not originally designed to be used for live gigging - it was us drummers who discovered it could be used for that in many situations.

Originally EAD was just designed for home practice, home recording, teaching etc. If you want to have your monitor feed mixed in you will need a mini mixer for your IEM. And no, it can’t be changed on a firmware update as it is hard wired.

The click can be routed to master outputs or headphone output or both.
Yes I have realised thats the only way to do it. Although they do refer to its live use in the marketing info.

simedgoose

Reaction score
The Android version of the Rec’n’Share app for EAD10 has just been released. It has the same functionality as the iOS version. Cue lots of video making....

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are we due for an upgrade of the unit this NAMm
The EAD10 has not be out very long and given how infrequently Yamaha updates their other e-drum modules, I wouldn't expect an upgrade anytime soon. At least they have finally released the Android version of the Rec 'n Share app!

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I demo'd one at the Chicago Drum Show and knew I had to save up. Finally bought one a few weeks ago and used it live for the first time last night. It was perfect, no feedback issues. The band and audience kept saying how good and "balanced" the drums sounded. The singer was especially pleased (always a good thing! Lol). I was hesitant to take it with me, but I really wanted that 80s sound for many of our covers (one of the main reasons I bought it). I'm so glad I did. It was super quick and easy to set up. Literally plug and play.

This gig was kind of a fill-in gig with people I played with a few years ago. They were so impressed with the EAD that I think it will lead to more sub gigs with them.

BTW, I carried it in a small Stanley toolbox, which held the entire unit and 2 long output cables. Worked great and protected it.

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
Still using mine as well. Love it. I use a bass drum mic and the Yamaha snare trigger as well. Always get compliments on the drum sound in club venues.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just read the following (posted November 1st) on the Yamaha FB page:

We're happy to announce the release of a new firmware update for our Yamaha EAD10 Drum Module. EAD10 v2 includes improved features and workflow, talkback function for online lessons and compatability with mesh heads & low volume cymbals.

dsop

Reaction score
I just installed the update.

chillybase

Reaction score
Another forum member mentioned the Yamaha EAD10 for use in live hip hop drumming (another thread). How do you have your unit set up for FOH and/or monitoring? Do most of you also use the extra triggers or just the kick drum mount mic/trigger? Do you use instead of your standard drum mic setup?

drumnhands

Reaction score
There's a firmware update for the EAD10 that was just released. Here is the link: https://yamaha.io/2olY0Zg

This adds several features, like a talkback function for the mic, options for routing the click, settings for using triggers with mesh heads and other goodies.

drumnhands

Reaction score
From the press release:
· Talk Back Function:
o Push of a button enables a clearer and louder recording of your voice
o Can be activated using a drum pad or foot switch
o Great feature for online lessons and educational content creation
· Extended Recording Duration:
o Record 90 minutes (up from 30 minutes) of your playing to a USB flash drive
· New General Settings:
o Mic Noise Gate Threshold - set the noise level at which the gate opens
o Mic Noise Gate Release Time - set the length of time the gate takes to close(The mic noise gate is used to attenuate unwanted ambient noise and mic hiss)
o Jack Noise Reduction - reduce unwanted static noises from cables
· Click Audio Output Routing:
o The click can now be routed to the main stereo outputs and USB audio output
o Provides the option of having the click track in performances and recordings
· New Drum Kits for Low-Volume Setups (separate optional add-on):
o 42 new kit scenes including acoustic and electronic sounds
o Kits optimized for use with drum triggers, mesh heads and low-volume cymbals
o Brings a whole new realism to low-volume practice and performance

Latest posts