Revisiting NAMM 2020’s Biggest Controversies (Drumeo/Gibson)

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He was saying the opposite. You can go if you pay for the booth and agree to abide by the rules. It's just like any convention center trade show.
I did understand that part, as well. It was the invitation part that was surprising to me.

Dan

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did understand that part, as well. It was the invitation part that was surprising to me.

Dan
The invitation part was where a smaller company would pay for a booth, and invite potential customers to the show, giving them the VIP illusion which would result in gushing reviews on social media. Not that a company themselves was invited.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Jared was a jerk about it afterwards I remember.
Too bad , I’ve enjoyed a decent amount of Drumeo videos ....
I think that he thinks he's a bigger deal in the music world than he really is, but that's because all these online drummers treat him like he's some celebrity.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
The invitation part was where a smaller company would pay for a booth, and invite potential customers to the show, giving them the VIP illusion which would result in gushing reviews on social media. Not that a company themselves was invited.
I'm not sure if that happens much anymore; you have to have some kind of connection with the company and then maybe they'll put you on their list. That's been my experience anyway.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
^^^^^ That, all day long.

As someone who was there, I can tell you it was beyond distracting and annoying. We weren't even near them. The sound level was much greater than "the big guys" and it was constant. Their booth was big, not a simple 10x10, so they ARE one of the big guys in my opinion. I, and many others I talked with, applauded the decision to shut them down. And going to another exhibitor and telling them that they "won't be in business for much longer" SIMPLY because they are trying to do business, is just reprehensible.
Not surprised to hear this. Behind the Canadian nice guy facade I’ve always felt an uncomfortable, uptight vibe from that Jared guy.

Last edited:

Whitten

Reaction score
I see basic consumers, amateurs actually, talking about going to NAMM every year. This year posting how sad they are they can't go.
If a company sends you an official pass, it's not NAMM's job to check who you are. This is not Zildjian, DW, Fender, Moog etc, this is small outfits looking to build an online marketing team who will rave about every product on user forums.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see basic consumers, amateurs actually, talking about going to NAMM every year. This year posting how sad they are they can't go.
If a company sends you an official pass, it's not NAMM's job to check who you are. This is not Zildjian, DW, Fender, Moog etc, this is small outfits looking to build an online marketing team who will rave about every product on user forums.

Can you get us DFO guys in ???

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a term that we use in the school music business for events where students that are interested in trying out band and orchestra instruments can show up and do so. We call it a "Petting Zoo". Pretty apt description. It seems like that's what NAMM has become.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I love the snobbery implicit in this post and similar ones ... I hear it in Thurston Howell III's voice "NAMM is allowing 'basic consumers, amateurs every years ... Like a petting zoo."

Hilarious.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the snobbery implicit in this post and similar ones ... I hear it in Thurston Howell III's voice "NAMM is allowing 'basic consumers, amateurs every years ... Like a petting zoo."

Hilarious.
Hey man - what have you got against petting zoos? I mean the kind with real fuzzy little animals that children can hang out with. Not that some drummers are fuzzy little animals, and I don't think kids should necessarily be hanging out with them . . . :)

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never paid any attention to these shows. What is the draw if you're not a manufacturer or a retailer? I mean what beyond basic curiosity if you were a local, why would anyone, pro or not, book a flight and hotel to attend?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never paid any attention to these shows. What is the draw if you're not a manufacturer or a retailer? I mean what beyond basic curiosity if you were a local, why would anyone, pro or not, book a flight and hotel to attend?
FOMO. Wanting to think that you've got an "inside connection".

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In addition to networking, seeing and checking out the latest products, and other products you might not see at your local dealer because they don’t stock them.

Whitten

Reaction score
I love the snobbery implicit in this post and similar ones ...
It isn't 'snobbery' it's a statement of fact that I experienced myself. Ever read about Google restaurant reviews for example?
I personally know a couple of amateurs who were invited to NAMM, given free product, then spent the next year alternatively raving about the product and slamming rival products on popular music forums. They told me that's how it went down. One guy is still doing it right now. Whenever someone posts about X product on a forum, he posts he's used x product, didn't like it and changed to Y product, which is night and day better.
When official endorsers like Dennis Chambers or Dave Weckl rave about a product, we know what the deal is. They have to be transparent about their relationship with the gear and it's understood in the industry they won't slag off similar gear by other companies. When you have anonymous forum members, there is no transparency and there is no 'rules of fairness'. These small companies are as culpable as the forum members. They both know it's sneaky at best, morally wrong at worst.

Last edited: