Rewrapping a natural finish tom

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm considering several toms that will be rewrapped to complete a small kit of Slingerland WMP orphans. One of the toms I'm considering purchasing has an original natural wood finish (no pearl wrap). Will I encounter an issue with heads not fitting because of the additional space that the wrap will introduce to the diameter of the drum?

Thanks in advance - hope you're all doing well!

Redfern

Reaction score
You may...you may also run into tension rod alignment issues. You also may want to move this topic to the Builders Workshop threads...might get better response.

moonbabie

Reaction score
Just food for thought If the shell is out of round it’s always possible adding another 1/8 or more to the diameter could create an issue...hope it works out to your advantage.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No. You will file the wrap edge slightly anyway and it should be no problem. But you can get heads from Remo that will accommodate this. I think their Vintage or Classic, something like that. Look into REMO on-line to find them.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably not unless it's an older drum that had a duco finish. Older Slingerlands and Ludwigs can present a problem because the shells were molded with the wrap on them. Shells made without wrap would end up the same size outer diameter as wrapped drums...so adding another layer would potentially make them oversized. This only applies to unwrapped drums made during the time they put the wrap on the flat wood prior to molding it into a shell. Ludwig stopped doing that in 1968. I believe Slingerland had stopped that process a few years earlier than that. From that point forward the same shells were used for both wrapped and unwrapped drums with unwrapped drums being a bit more undersized than wrapped examples.