Rewrapping Gretsch RB Progressive jazz kit

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
Thanks, poetman, this is all very helpful. And I am happy that you rewrap turned out so well. I am beginning to feel confident now that the Starlight Sparkle rewrap will be a great choice for me.

Thanks also for the link. I had already checked these catalogues - and read up in Rob Cook's Gretsch book. So any doubts I may have had about period correctness are now gone.

At the moment, I am waiting for the bass drum badge to arrive from the US. And then I will have to somehow go into town here in Stockholm (by tube, probably, though I avoid this if possible in the pandemic) to fetch a suitable cardboard box from a drum store, to pack and ship my shells to the builder.

/Magnus

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One word of warning: aren't sparkles and glitters thicker than pearl wraps? Might make the heads a tighter fit.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One word of warning: aren't sparkles and glitters thicker than pearl wraps? Might make the heads a tighter fit.
Glass glitter is thicker. Regular sparkle is “ regular”. If you really stress about it, the satin flames are thinner and use a different glue. Plain elmers I think

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That would be my concern as well. Glass Glitter wraps are thicker than other wraps and can lead to head fitting problems on Gretsch shells. Regular sparkles don't have this problem but Gretsch used Glitters so if authenticity is important it puts one in a bit of a historical bind when choosing a wrap.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be my concern as well. Glass Glitter wraps are thicker than other wraps and can lead to head fitting problems on Gretsch shells. Regular sparkles don't have this problem but Gretsch used Glitters so if authenticity is important it puts one in a bit of a historical bind when choosing a wrap.
Not many people are as courageous as Art Taylor with his yellow satin flame

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
So, good people, here are some pics of the kit in its new clothes. I received it back from Niklas, the builder, yesterday who has done his magic, and I assembled it today. I need to replace one of the lugs on the TT, though, since it had the hexheaded selftapering screws, and one of these doesn't thread anymore... After some looking, I even found one locally, which I am picking up tomorrow.

I am more than pleased with the new looks of my kit. Niklas is really fantastic. All edges have been recut as well, some ply separation reglued, and the hole in the bass drum mended, so the kit is basically as new, at least as far as the woodwork goes.
GRB1.jpg

GRB2.jpg

/Magnus

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe go with Champagne, Silver or Gold?

Look at the catalog and pick one...
Your drums are gorgeous and will be even more so after the work is done.

:)

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, good people, here are some pics of the kit in its new clothes. I received it back from Niklas, the builder, yesterday who has done his magic, and I assembled it today. I need to replace one of the lugs on the TT, though, since it had the hexheaded selftapering screws, and one of these doesn't thread anymore... After some looking, I even found one locally, which I am picking up tomorrow.

I am more than pleased with the new looks of my kit. Niklas is really fantastic. All edges have been recut as well, some ply separation reglued, and the hole in the bass drum mended, so the kit is basically as new, at least as far as the woodwork goes. View attachment 490614

View attachment 490615

/Magnus
Stunning! Made an excellent choice there.