RHCP - Dark Necessities cover (warning, amateurs)

Cpb282

Reaction score
An attempt at recording in a small room with poor acoustics. My biggest issue is drum bleed into the vocal mics. I think I’ve got to get them singing closer to the mics to minimize the bleed. Any other thoughts other than a sound isolation booth for the drummer (which won’t really work as the drummer does most of the lead vocals)?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is so invigorating to see kids get off their screens and work towards. something they love. I don't know if they're yours, but kudos to them, lots of promising stuff in there.

I got a daughter and two nephew in the same age group and they've started playing together and learn a few songs together as well. It sure makes a dad's heart fuzzy.

Cpb282

Reaction score
It is so invigorating to see kids get off their screens and work towards. something they love. I don't know if they're yours, but kudos to them, lots of promising stuff in there.

I got a daughter and two nephew in the same age group and they've started playing together and learn a few songs together as well. It sure makes a dad's heart fuzzy.
Thanks! They are indeed my kids (11, 12 and 15). The oldest 2 (guitar, drums) were taking lessons a couple of years ago. I started playing knockin’ on heaven’s door on mandolin, they joined in, said they needed a bassist and there you have it.

The oldest then decided to put together a set list to raise money for a dog rescue group, and things just continued. Before I knew it I was the roadie, the engineer, and most importantly the financier.

But I wouldn’t change it for the world. As you said, they’re not on electronic devices, are building bonds together that will last a life time, are building confidence (they’re very shy kids, but enjoy playing live), and are learning how to compromise and work together as a team.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They are indeed my kids (11, 12 and 15). The oldest 2 (guitar, drums) were taking lessons a couple of years ago. I started playing knockin’ on heaven’s door on mandolin, they joined in, said they needed a bassist and there you have it.

The oldest then decided to put together a set list to raise money for a dog rescue group, and things just continued. Before I knew it I was the roadie, the engineer, and most importantly the financier.

But I wouldn’t change it for the world. As you said, they’re not on electronic devices, are building bonds together that will last a life time, are building confidence (they’re very shy kids, but enjoy playing live), and are learning how to compromise and work together as a team.
This is priceless... And hi-five to you for providing them an environment in wich this can happen. This is parenting done the right way through and through...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the kids....and playing RHCP........at least it's not a Katy Perry cover or something!

I volunteer teach for a group of kids from 8-18 in an acoustic guitar group. The playing together, learning together and getting in front of crowds helps them in many ways, plus they are creating and have a lifelong hobby.........bravo.

Cpb282

Reaction score
This is priceless... And hi-five to you for providing them an environment in wich this can happen. This is parenting done the right way through and through...
Thanks again. I figured the next 5 years will fly by and might as well enjoy them while I’ve got them. I don’t miss the former living room one bit.

Cpb282

Reaction score
Congrats on the kids....and playing RHCP........at least it's not a Katy Perry cover or something!

I volunteer teach for a group of kids from 8-18 in an acoustic guitar group. The playing together, learning together and getting in front of crowds helps them in many ways, plus they are creating and have a lifelong hobby.........bravo.
Yeah, no Katy Perry here. They’ve got lots of influences. But I think they cover at least 4 RHCP songs.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That is AWESOME and gives me hope for the world! I showed it to my son who has been jamming on guitar and writing songs and said “you need a band, man!”

Cpb282

Reaction score
...and she's playing a nice looking Mapex! Nothing wrong with that picture!
Yes, she’s in total love with her Saturns.

They’ve started playing out and about again for fun and the breakdown and setup, given where their practice room is, has become a real drag.

We’ve been keeping an eye out for a cheap good quality gigging drum set and I think we’ve settled on a barely used Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 20/14/12/10 for in the $300s. I’ll likely wrap it in a color as she likes to personalize her sets, but it will make the gigs far more tolerable for roadie dad if there’s a set packed up by the driveway.

They help with breakdown and setup of course, but it is hard to expect them to lug pieces of gear around that weigh nearly as much as they do.

Cpb282

Reaction score
I know guitar players who can't play that Pixies guitar part correctly and they're about 5x older! Nice work.
Thanks, she’ll appreciate that! She doesn’t consider herself a shredder, but really enjoys bends.