Rhodes Piano Jazz/Funk Album Recommendations?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Absolutely my favorite wielder of the Rhodes, Robin Lumley.

Just happened upon this clip tonight. What a delightful, affectionate love letter he gives to his stalwart instrument.

And when his fingers drop down just to noodle out a quick sample, that evocative, sexy voice of Brand X is immediately unmistakable.

I hope you enjoy this.

m.clover

Reaction score
I always liked Joe Zawinal on "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" w/ Cannonball Adderly

sternerp

Reaction score
I borrowed a Fender Rhodes from a friend several years ago, and loved playing it. I’m also a Hammond Organ enthusiast, and recently bought a Hammond SK-2 digital organ to replace the monster CV and Leslie I sold. The old equipment took up too much space, and weighed around 400 lbs. The new Hammond weighs 36 pounds, has a Leslie simulator, and sounds just like the old tone wheel organs.

slow larry

Reaction score
Herbie Hancock- Fat Albert Rotunda
Interesting fact about this album and the 2nd song here Wiggle Waggle. No one is sure who played the drums on it. Both Bernard Purdie and Tootie Heath recorded versions of it and Herbie didn't remember which one he picked for the album as it had been a few years since the studio. They all did it for no money so they were all quick takes using fake books. The album was also made for a Cosby TV special, not the later Fat Albert cartoon. Rumor is Cosby intentionally suppressed the TV special b/c the cartoons kids were older and misbehaving and there wasnt really any moral or message, just stories about juvenile delinquency. It didn't fit the later cartoons ethic so its super hard to find any footage of it. Youtube has a documentary about it that has a few minutes of the special which is the only footage I've ever seen.

Also Tootie kills in on the 3rd track.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The man who basically the entire "Chill" genre in the UK/Europe from 99-05 owe their careers to-

dsteinschneider

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donny Hathaway Live - Everything is Everything
(The Ghetto from same album is excellent also)