Rick Beato's Drum grooves you need to know

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So nice he talked about the use of hi hat .
I’ve been working on that ….
Most self taught guys never use the left foot on hi hat . I have a drummer friend who just refuses to do it …..

5stroke

Reaction score
What’s up with Gregg’s voice…LOL
It's hard to listen to Greg's raspy voice. Love the drummer, love his content but not the voice. It's sounded raspy since I first listened to him 10 years ago on a video.
But, I doubt it's his fault, neglect, maybe not even a serious issue, vocal cords can get compromised just because...
The main issue I have w/the video is the tabloid title "what you need to know..." that is so rampant its been rendered meaningless. On the surface it implies that someone else is telling you what you 'need to know' since you're not qualified to determine such things by your own intellect/abilities. Therefore, be a mindless zombie and let someone else tell you what 'needs' to be known. Ironically, the content for most of these videos/articles is far from what the title promised. Certainly not the case here with Greg or even Rick, but the phrase has been worn out a long time ago.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m so tired of Rick Beato ……..

Greg is a fantastic drummer and human I’m sure , but his “ spiel “ can get annoying .

I don’t remember hearing “ Pat Boone Debby Boone “ either ….FAIL ………

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't play the hi hat edge with the shoulder of the stick.
mustn't be a rocker; /
(sarc/off)

I like Gregg he's entertaining .

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't play the hi hat edge with the shoulder of the stick.
mustn't be a rocker; /
(sarc/off)

I like Gregg he's entertaining .
I can see how he’s entertaining.
I’ve just always been annoyed by “ enthusiastic “ folks …

Must come from my Moms “ fake enthusiasm “ that used to annoy me so ..

Sorry Gregg , I take it back …you rock !!

I still stand by Rick Beato getting on my nerves though ….

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
It's hard to listen to Greg's raspy voice. Love the drummer, love his content but not the voice. It's sounded raspy since I first listened to him 10 years ago on a video.
But, I doubt it's his fault, neglect, maybe not even a serious issue, vocal cords can get compromised just because...
The main issue I have w/the video is the tabloid title "what you need to know..." that is so rampant its been rendered meaningless. On the surface it implies that someone else is telling you what you 'need to know' since you're not qualified to determine such things by your own intellect/abilities. Therefore, be a mindless zombie and let someone else tell you what 'needs' to be known. Ironically, the content for most of these videos/articles is far from what the title promised. Certainly not the case here with Greg or even Rick, but the phrase has been worn out a long time ago.
I think it's meant for a bit of fun and light education highlighting some very well known (to both drummers/musicians and Joe public) drum grooves over the years. Not everyone who watches Rick Beato's stuff is a muso.

Do you think maybe you could be looking at it just a bit too seriously/critically?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta figure.. Seems like Gregg life is one 'big bowl of drums; played alongside with Ringo for what he said 19 years.

Mama Mia,
but he talks about the same things many of us could talk about; almost with the same signposts; Lenore, Bobby Columby, Spectrum etc.

His life is one big bowl of drums. Altho he may play tennis or croquet also ; ) maybe keeps pet alligators or something Cockatoo's (birds

Last edited:

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, much respect for GB. He really plays a wide range of music authentically in this video, and he knows his history. Even though many of his demonstrations weren't note for note accurate ("50 Ways" for example), his playing always feels good, and he didn't sound like a fish out of water in any of those examples, from latin, to hip hop, jazz, rock, fusion, double bass, R&B... Total pro.

His voice doesn't bother me (I just keep waiting for him to grab a cough drop), but I can't be the only one who was bothered by his right pinky sticking out.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gregg is a GREAT educator. His voice? Why are people mentioning it when it's all about helping and educating drummers.
Pat Boone, Debbie Boone? I've heard it a lot. There are short hand, jokey phrases that record producers (in particular) who don't know much about drumming use to explain to drummers what they want to hear.
Four beat snare groove - people used to ask me to play the 'Pretty Woman' beat.
Another UK one is "Flats in Dagenham".

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He has really great time, it feels effortless.

This video was all over the place but enough good stuff to ignore it, cool to see him play HFT.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gregg is a GREAT educator. His voice? Why are people mentioning it when it's all about helping and educating drummers.
Pat Boone, Debbie Boone? I've heard it a lot. There are short hand, jokey phrases that record producers (in particular) who don't know much about drumming use to explain to drummers what they want to hear.
Four beat snare groove - people used to ask me to play the 'Pretty Woman' beat.
Another UK one is "Flats in Dagenham".
My Pat Boone Debbie Boone comment was strictly sarcastic .

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He has really great time, it feels effortless.

This video was all over the place but enough good stuff to ignore it, cool to see him play HFT.
I wish the clips of Gregg on the purple kit had a camera angle behind or to the side so we could better see what he was doing.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes redbeard sounded like extra hihat notes in the rosanna but couldn't see until he went to the ride cymbal

it's that his snare ghost notes sound IDENTcal to his hi hat; remarkably so.. (!
bookmarked

still there's something unique in how he plays that rosanna ; right hand almost eighth and two sixteenths instead of swung middle empty triplet
which maybe maybe; hyper active

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched an ELO concert with him and his brother on the gig ….they both sang backup as well .

It was such a great performance…….
I really enjoyed it ……

Reddy

Reaction score
I keep time (usually) with my left foot on hi hat. Mostly ‘cause I like the sound. A certain swing with it on the in betweens. Didn’t realize that it isn’t being done much any more.