Rick Wakeman made 122 Solo Albums??

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I suppose this would be considered Off Topic but some may find this Vanity Fair article interesting:

I just skimmed it over for now and will read it tonight. Looks quite interesting.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I will have to check that out. I am a big fan.
He found a second career as a stand-up comic. Did anyone see his R&R HOF bit? Cracked me up!
He also won my deep respect for his performance and words at the Keith Emerson tribute concert.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
That’s a good read. Rick is a very funny guy. There’s an interview on YouTube where he is on a talk radio show and answering questions from callers or playing a game with them, very entertaining!

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great article! Thanks for posting it.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great story...Thanks for that. Never knew of his downs.
He's a very cool guy. Gave some nice profound words/interviews when Bowie passed. He seems like a great bloke to have a pint with.
I always remember his description of other Yes members as "a bunch of sober bores".

Last edited:

Vicey

Reaction score
I recall a joke to the effect that RW formed his own label so he could release his warm-up exercises as solo albums. At least I thought it was a joke.

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was a great read. I love his summation of himself: “I'm permanently reading 9.8 on the I-don’t-give-a-f*ck meter.” That would make a great t-shirt (or a cape).

He's had a few forays into television, as well. He once had a music/talk show called "GasTank" that aired in England from 1982-83 (some of which is currently on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GasTank+Rick+Wakeman), and more recently, he had a great interview show called "Face To Face" in the late 2000s. He interviewed some big-name musicians, and what made it entertaining was that he asked candid questions that other musicians could relate to, and his dry sense of humor shone through. Two episodes that stood out in my mind were Ian Anderson and Jon Lord. Sadly, it appears most episodes have disappeared from Youtube.

mpthomson

Reaction score
That was a great read. I love his summation of himself: “I'm permanently reading 9.8 on the I-don’t-give-a-f*ck meter.” That would make a great t-shirt (or a cape).

He's had a few forays into television, as well. He once had a music/talk show called "GasTank" that aired in England from 1982-83 (some of which is currently on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GasTank+Rick+Wakeman), and more recently, he had a great interview show called "Face To Face" in the late 2000s. He interviewed some big-name musicians, and what made it entertaining was that he asked candid questions that other musicians could relate to, and his dry sense of humor shone through. Two episodes that stood out in my mind were Ian Anderson and Jon Lord. Sadly, it appears most episodes have disappeared from Youtube.

He pops up regularly on UK television in various presenting roles or guest appearances on Top Gear or just drinking a cup of tea in the corner of the workshop on a program called Car SOS. He's a Christian and has also presented a UK program called Songs of Praise and appeared on other religious themed shows.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
My first real rock concert was a Rick Wakeman show, on his No Earthly Connection tour in 1976. I was 13, on a school trip from my fairly small and isolated Canadian city to London, and I lucked into tickets to the show at the Hammersmith Odeon. I have this image of the curtains opening (were there curtains ? Maybe its was the lights coming up ...) to show Wakeman on a big riser center stage, back to the audience ringed on the other three sides by keyboards , with that sequined cape, and the long blond hair ... it made quite an impression !

And yes, his tribute to Bowie was quite moving ... this is part of it here, I think there was one where he gave more detail on the recording session for Life on Mars.