Ride cymbal bell sound

Lord Ny

Reaction score
I want to find a cymbal that has a specific bell sound. I was watching this video on YT with a 14 year old covering Aja by Steely Dan.
At the end of the song Steve Gadd is playing on the bell of a cymbal. It is hard to hear very well on the album, but in this cover the bell really rings out. Can anyone identify the ride cymbal? Can you suggest a cymbal for me to look for that has this bell sound? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Way to go kid! The audience seem a bit downbeat.
Bell of the ride? I'm assuming late-ish 70's Gadd, a medium 20" A Zildjian?
It's not that hard to find. You just don't want an over-prominent bell or an under stated bell rise cymbal. Nothing too dark either, just plan and simple.
Start sifting through those 60's and 70's A's would be my take.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Way to go kid! The audience seem a bit downbeat.
Bell of the ride? I'm assuming late-ish 70's Gadd, a medium 20" A Zildjian?
It's not that hard to find. You just don't want an over-prominent bell or an under stated bell rise cymbal. Nothing too dark either, just plan and simple.
Start sifting through those 60's and 70's A's would be my take.
Agreed. I have a 20" A and the bell sounds about like that. I love that cymbal.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The sound is smashed to hell and that is definitely affecting the sound. I'd be surprised if the cymbal really sounded like that. I saw Gadd live once around '87 and he had a cymbal with a similar bell and I remember it was a K.

Dan

Lord Ny

Reaction score
The sound is smashed to hell and that is definitely affecting the sound. I'd be surprised if the cymbal really sounded like that. I saw Gadd live once around '87 and he had a cymbal with a similar bell and I remember it was a K.

Dan
What do you mean by smashed? as in he is hitting it too hard? I mean the set is not micd right at all, but the kid was great. I just like that tone and how it just cuts through everything.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The cymbal in the video might be an A Custom, with a smooth brilliant surface. Probably a Ping ride. They all differ somewhat though.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you mean by smashed? as in he is hitting it too hard? I mean the set is not micd right at all, but the kid was great. I just like that tone and how it just cuts through everything.
No, I mean it's compressed, a la a smartphone or camera mic, which are notoriously bad with sounds such as those.

Dan

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be told.. Gadd had borrowed cymbals..at Aja and it was a 21" A of some type-model/

Now if you're talking bells..well I don't want to get into it I'm out ; )
I'll say only one thing.

the Zildjian cup/bell (the Zildjian from either continent) (corresponding bridge) has been the basis of western civilization since the very earliest 20th century.
But I have no strong opinion on the subject
and would rather keep it to myself.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It used to be told.. Gadd had borrowed cymbals..at Aja and it was a 21" A of some type-model/
^^This^^
AJA was late 70's and there were no Zildjan K's at that point, only the Istanbul ones. The EAK's came in early 80's?
Later, yes Gadd was a K Zildjian player, but late 70's I would have thought handpicked A's

C'mon parents, give the kid some!!! They don't 'get it'.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to find a cymbal that has a specific bell sound. I was watching this video on YT with a 14 year old covering Aja by Steely Dan.
At the end of the song Steve Gadd is playing on the bell of a cymbal. It is hard to hear very well on the album, but in this cover the bell really rings out. Can anyone identify the ride cymbal? Can you suggest a cymbal for me to look for that has this bell sound? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You could ask the kid in a comment on his video. People are generally happy to share info about their gear if you enjoyed their video.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back from the A. Zildjian Set Ups Catalog, but this was after Aja.
Steve Gadd
14” New Beat Hi Hats
18” Medium Thin Crash
20” Deep Ride
22” Medium Ride w/14” Thin Crash Sizzle on top