header.nohb.html

Ride cymbal guidance - mic it or try a different ride?

Cpb282

Reaction score
One thing that I’ve noticed, mostly when playing live outdoors or at larger venues, is that my daughter’s ride may not be a great match for her crashes and hi-hat, including volume-wise (although I wouldn’t expect the ride to be as loud).

Her cymbals are:
- Hi-hats: 14” Zildjian new beats
- 16” crash: Meinl extra dry thin
- 19” crash: Zildjian K dark thin
- 20” ride: Zildjian Avedis A medium ride

Do you think that she would benefit from a thinner ride? Or should I just be mic’ing overhead (which I was trying to avoid, as we have enough gear to set up as it is)?

You can hear the crashes and ride together here at 4:23+.

Thanks!

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anything she needs a heavier ride with more definition. A thinner ride will just wash out.

I would try sticking an SM57 on it first, though.

Cpb282

Reaction score
If anything she needs a heavier ride with more definition. A thinner ride will just wash out.

I would try sticking an SM57 on it first, though.
Thanks - as you can tell, I haven’t a clue.

I do have 2 unused inputs in our mixer, so it is possible.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Due to ergonomics issues she has noticeably less available power on ride with her arm contorted over there compared to what she's able to give crashes and hats with a full, comfortable range of motion. I bet if she lost the 2nd rack tom and moved the ride as far left and flat as possible she'd be able to coax a lot more projection out of it.
The ride is always more important than the middle tom, and playing greatly benefits from awarding it priority placement.

Cpb282

Reaction score
Due to ergonomics issues she has noticeably less available power on ride with her arm contorted over there compared to what she's able to give crashes and hats with a full, comfortable range of motion. I bet if she lost the 2nd rack tom and moved the ride as far left and flat as possible she'd be able to coax a lot more projection out of it.
The ride is always more important than the middle tom, and playing greatly benefits from awarding it priority placement.
Thanks - I hadn’t considered that. She hasn’t taken lessons from a drum teacher in about 4 years, and I’m sure she’d benefit from that.

She has used 2 up 1 down for so long, I’m not sure whether she’d be willing to make a change, but I’ll raise it as an option.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks - I hadn’t considered that. She hasn’t taken lessons from a drum teacher in about 4 years, and I’m sure she’d benefit from that.

She has used 2 up 1 down for so long, I’m not sure whether she’d be willing to make a change, but I’ll raise it as an option.
At one point I clamped my middle tom onto the hi-hat stand to my left, and I've never used more than 1 up since--even when playing a few hours of Rush tunes. When I play on other people's kits now it feels like their ride cymbal is practically behind me it's so uncomfortable. Low, left ride is downright cushy!

Cpb282

Reaction score
At one point I clamped my middle tom onto the hi-hat stand to my left, and I've never used more than 1 up since--even when playing a few hours of Rush tunes. When I play on other people's kits now it feels like their ride cymbal is practically behind me it's so uncomfortable. Low, left ride is downright cushy!
Like this? And have the second crash to her right of the ride?

1664937784628.jpeg

Cpb282

Reaction score
I'd switch the 20 ride and 19 crash. A ride should be as close to the snare/bass as possible. You'll hear the ride much better as it's coming toward the audience. A cymbal with the floor tom is like an extra ride/crash, an afterthought.
Thanks - that makes sense, and is similar to @Pat A Flafla ’s comment, re getting the ride further to her left.

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe? Rides can be scary with how loud they get too.
I'm trying two up at the request of our BL. I don't like it so far, but it really is kind of a standard set up- two up one down. It probably takes up the least space.

Cpb282

Reaction score
Maybe? Rides can be scary with how loud they get too.
I'm trying two up at the request of our BL. I don't like it so far, but it really is kind of a standard set up- two up one down. It probably takes up the least space.
A challenge for her is that she’s not exactly a giant at 5’-1” tall.

So compact / cramped is sort of necessary for her. She doesn’t have much reach, or arm strength.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A Zildjian 20” A medium is good for most things. Not always the most exotic sounding, but something that should fit into nearly any style or setting. I would not purchase another ride (that cymbal is good). So experiment with positioning, mic’ing, and even different sticks if needed. (Also, if you find the Zildjian ride to be too washy, just stick a piece of gaffer tape on the back).

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does she use hearing protection? Don't answer, but that may help possibly

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give that suggestion because I am scared of ride cymbals too. They can drown everything. Listening back to recording helps though and you all have got that

p.s. from the driver's seat it does seem like I'm drowning out the guys when I play my ride proper strongly

Cpb282

Reaction score
I think the ride sounds just fine.
Your daughter does a great job.
A mic for starters.

Happy to hear young people playing. Kudos to your daughter. She is so much more advanced than I was at that age, singing, too!
Thanks, you two. I think you can tell she’s having fun up there with her siblings. They’re thick as thieves.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A mic for starters.
Mic'ing should be a last resort.
She's playing the crashes quite hard and the ride much softer. Internal balance is key. If the ride position is awkward I agree, swap it with the crash.
An A Zidjian ride is usually pretty loud. She may want something with more definition though.
Drum lessons are important as she's a great player.
Balance-wise, if she backed off the crashes and played the ride the same intensity as the hi-hats that would be the perfect mix.
An affordable mic is going to pick up (and amplify) the crashes too = not good.