header.nohb.html

Ride cymbal guidance - mic it or try a different ride?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if a different stick would already increase ride definition. Maybe nylon tips?
Listening as I type - she sounds really good
Agree about the crashing being a bit too heavy. Re: positioning - I would put the ride on the stand the 19" is on, just a bit lower. It can overlap a bit with the second rack tom.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mic'ing should be a last resort.
She's playing the crashes quite hard and the ride much softer. Internal balance is key. If the ride position is awkward I agree, swap it with the crash.
An A Zidjian ride is usually pretty loud. She may want something with more definition though.
Drum lessons are important as she's a great player.
Balance-wise, if she backed off the crashes and played the ride the same intensity as the hi-hats that would be the perfect mix.
An affordable mic is going to pick up (and amplify) the crashes too = not good.

This ^
Internal balance is the key.
Edit: she sounds good! Bit heavy handed on the hats and crashes, but that's an easy fix.
I noticed she's playing quite up on the cymbals surface, close to the bell. There's more definition there, but the body of the cymbal is not activated that much and the cymbal doesn't deliver volume.
Like others have suggested, having the ride in approximately player's 1 a clock position, helps to play it more easily and strongly if needed.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree The Ride lost way out in right field, no bueno. Swap with the right side crash. Dig the band and the vibe they're really good remind me of my garage band days!

mfk252

Reaction score
I agree with the comments regarding balance between cymbals, playing both ride and hats with same part of the stick (for equal sound level) and using the whole surface of the ride for volume.

The other challenge is that her vocal mic is closer to the crashes and likely exaggerating any imbalance. One option would be another overhead mic on the ride side of the kit (I also recommend moving the ride to the 1 o'clock position).

I sing "gang vocals" with my band and in situations like in the video use a single overhead about 6-8 inches above and in front of my head and it picks everything up nicely, but it may be awkward for her if she is singing lead vocals.

I enjoyed listening to the band and stuck around for quite a few songs! It's reassuring to know that some young people still listen to and appreciate music from before their time.

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is fine. Many players with 2 up put the ride out there and they do just fine, see Matt Cameron. Let her play what is comfortable and familiar and not what random forum strangers tell her is the correct way.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might think about adding a twin tom stand to aleviate the positioning issue.
It keeps it at a two up / one down in her case and pulls that ride into a very comfortable position.
It moves the hats ever so slightly to the left ... which should open up her stance for better balance on the throne.
The ride position keeps the shoulders healthy and relaxed.
It also allows for the crashes to be positioned for easy access.

IMG_6658.JPG
IMG_6661.JPG
IMG_6662.JPG

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ride seems to be coming through alright on my speakers. A ride should be a cleaner less abrasive option than half open hi hats. The suggestions to try nylon tips or maybe slightly heavier sticks for outdoor gigs are worth a try though.

Makes me feel less old that kids are still covering timebomb

Last edited:

Cpb282

Reaction score
The ride seems to be coming through alright on my speakers. A ride should be a cleaner less abrasive option than half open hi hats. The suggestions to try nylon tips or maybe slightly heavier sticks for outdoor gigs are worth a try though.

Makes me feel less ild that kids are still covering timebomb
Thanks. They are old souls. Or at least ones that like music from the 60s-90s!

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I’d just like to say thanks to cpb282 for sharing the video. That’s great! These kids have put a ton of practice in and it shows. Plus the best part is they’re having fun.

I wouldn’t change out the ride as that model will fit the bill for lots of things and if she prefers 2 up there’s nothing wrong with that either. If anything she could move the ride (as others noted) to just over the right tom so she could get a little more down force on it rather than side force.

Or she can just not worry about it and keep playing/having fun.

Cpb282

Reaction score
T
First I’d just like to say thanks to cpb282 for sharing the video. That’s great! These kids have put a ton of practice in and it shows. Plus the best part is they’re having fun.

I wouldn’t change out the ride as that model will fit the bill for lots of things and if she prefers 2 up there’s nothing wrong with that either. If anything she could move the ride (as others noted) to just over the right tom so she could get a little more down force on it rather than side force.

Or she can just not worry about it and keep playing/having fun.
Thanks! One thing that this thread has made clear is swapping the positions of the secondary/larger crash and the ride.

I’ve swapped them in our “living room” and while I’m sure it will need some tweaking, we’ll see how she gets along with it.
A32261AB-14EE-41BF-B509-7FCD99CA86ED.jpeg

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! One thing that this thread has made clear is swapping the positions of the secondary/larger crash and the ride.

I’ve swapped them in our “living room” and while I’m sure it will need some tweaking, we’ll see how she gets along with it.
View attachment 586702
Exactly the configuration I was picturing. If it works for her then all good!