Ride cymbal question

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a zildjian 20" brilliant ping ride . Its one I got from my brother who played rock. Now I'm just playing at home and trying to learn a little rock, country, and jazz. This thing seems to take on a droning sound when you ride it. No cracks or dents in it. I want something with more sizzle and wash I guess you'd say. Can any of you suggest a good general purpose ride cymbal? I dont know a lot about cymbals. Thanks because I just don't know much about cymbals

egw

Reaction score
A "medium" 20" would be something in the area of 2200-2500g. Zildjian A Medium Ride or Sabian AA Medium Ride would be a good place to start. Your ping ride probably weighs somewhere in the 3200-3500g range. Not ideal for jazz.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A used 20, 21, 22 Zildjian A Medium Ride goes for dirt cheap these days, and is pretty dang versatile.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my experience, most ride cymbals will produce an overtone that could be described as "droning" if you are playing them for long portions of a song, and are playing with force. You start to lose the definition of the single hit of the stick, or at least gain the overtone in addition to it. Just the nature of a cymbal really. Flat rides, or rides with smaller bells, like Zildjian mini cup rides, may be what you are looking for.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
A "medium" 20" would be something in the area of 2200-2500g. Zildjian A Medium Ride or Sabian AA Medium Ride would be a good place to start. Your ping ride probably weighs somewhere in the 3200-3500g range. Not ideal for jazz.
A slight update on weight ranges from my database

20" Medium Ride 2200g - 2700g
20" Ping Ride 2850g - 3100g

I've had to guess production era from the mention that it is brilliant finish. If it actually has ink saying Brilliant (mid 1990s) then the expected weight would be in the upper half of the range because they got heavier at that time.

Put a 4 inch strip of gaffer tape on the underside.
This might be a good place to start and costs practically nothing to experiment. It tamed the hum problems I have on a couple of rides. You might also try lighter sticks. But I'd start with tape experiments.

Hum is discussed as part of the lengthy discussion here:

and it also contains a link to another discussion of hum, etc. Note that there aren't any easy answers yet. Just more focused questions.

I'll see if I can get this post moved to the cymbal section rather than general.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of experimentation with ride cymbals to try to really understand what affects what. That drone you talk about is the thing i dislike most and I think I have come up with a way to tame it.

OWR first pointed it out when he said it was the fundimental pitch of the cymbal and being the lowest pitch it rings the longest. So while some of the highs die out rather quickly that low drone just rings on

So after conducting a number of tests I discovered if you clip a clothes pin right on the edge of a ride cymbal you can pretty much cut that fundamental drastically. So I ended up putting a 3” strip of gaffer’s tape right on the edge, folding half over the top and half over the bottom of the cymbal. I’m rather pleased with the results. Give that a shot.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah. Well never mind then. Sometimes a cymbal mounted on a bass drum will sympathetically vibrate with the bd.
But just for kicks, try putting it on a different stand.
but sometimes the stand can have issues...a loose rivet or screw...rubber feet worn out or missing.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would think a heavy ping ride like the OP has would have less "drone" than lighter rides. Buddy Rich and others played ping rides so they must be easily tamed for what they needed. Any cymbal with a heavy wash or drone can be tamed with more an more tape. I had a 20" EAK Orchestra crash that had so much drone (by design) that it took about 5-6 pieces of duct tape to bring it down to near a normal ping or dry type ride. When playing in a band a lot of the cymbal overtones (ie drone) get lost in the mix....so what you hear in isolation on the drum kit may not even be heard by anyone else.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Reaction score
paiste 2002 24" ride is the most versatile ride made. I have 5 of them

I'm not trying to water you off. . .but, if they're so versatile, why 5??

I have a Zildjian Custom A 20" medium ride that is awesome. I agree with the stick and tape experiment.. . .heck, try magnets, "moongels". Spending $7 on something vs. spending $200+ on a new to you cymbal. . .Hmmmmm

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look for a used Zildjian Kerope 20", about 2000g. Versatile jazz cymbal and they are plentiful at reasonable prices used.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not trying to water you off. . .but, if they're so versatile, why 5??

I have a Zildjian Custom A 20" medium ride that is awesome. I agree with the stick and tape experiment.. . .heck, try magnets, "moongels". Spending $7 on something vs. spending $200+ on a new to you cymbal. . .Hmmmmm
I have identical drum 5 kits. One for each kit. That way the only kit on the move is the play out.

P.S. magnets dont stick to cymbals

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I have identical drum 5 kits. One for each kit. That way the only kit on the move is the play out.

P.S. magnets dont stick to cymbals
P.P.S Meinl have Cymbal Tuners based on magnets. You just need one on either side of the cymbal and the magnets stick to one another.

I haven't tried them and I'm not endorsing them as an inexpensive solution. But they seem to work. :icon_e_ugeek:

So after conducting a number of tests I discovered if you clip a clothes pin right on the edge of a ride cymbal you can pretty much cut that fundamental drastically. So I ended up putting a 3” strip of gaffer’s tape right on the edge, folding half over the top and half over the bottom of the cymbal. I’m rather pleased with the results. Give that a shot.
After this info I just had to try a clothes pin on my 21" A Zildjian (with the low hum issue) in place of the tape I've been using.
It seems to work but it has a bit more effect than the tape I replaced. That's just one strip on tape on the bottom running from a bit on the bell straight out to nearly the edge. Two strips of tape (180 degrees opposite) is what a previous owner had on the bottom. If I put on two strips that's about the same as the clothes pin.

Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I’ve been trying to come up with something other than a clothes pin. It was a bit too much for my taste. Besides, who wants a clothes pin hanging off a cymbal. I’m thinking maybe a small piece of car door rubber edging. i wonder if you can fold moon gel around the edge? But damping the edge seems to only kill the fundamental without bothering much else.

Latest posts