Ride Cymbal slight crack opinions?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
PASS with that crack....even at $100. Many better choices out there. 90-99% of serious buyers won't even consider such a cymbal unless "given away." A 1-3 mm edge crack might be called minor. But a 1 inch (24 mm) crack? That's major. And if you properly drill out that crack and widen the gap a tad to prevent chaffing - it will look sort of nasty. To properly treat a 1" crack like that, you would need to notch out a 1.5" triangle...and then smooth it out to form a flowing curve to remove as much of the stresses as possible. And even then, the crack could come back.

I had a pre-serial 20" 602 at 2400 gms for the past 10 months....for sale locally at $125. Zero interest....even those who looked at it in person....at any price. Only thing wrong with it was the tiniest of a notch/crack in the bell hole - 1-2 mm or so. Probably been there forever. The seller didn't even notice it - I got them to drop the price from $130 to $120....lol. Finally tossed it up on Reverb a few months ago and netted around $118 for it....seller paid around $150 shipped/taxed. There are plenty of these out there. Be fussy when buying vintage, used 20" rides....because most everyone is the same way....and 20" rides are very common.

IMG_20180921_190543.jpg

Last edited:

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
PASS with that crack....even at $100. Many better choices out there. 90-99% of serious buyers won't even consider such a cymbal unless "given away." A 1-3 mm edge crack might be called minor. But a 1 inch (24 mm) crack? That's major. And if you properly drill out that crack and widen the gap a tad to prevent chaffing - it will look sort of nasty. To properly treat a 1" crack like that, you would need to notch out a 1.5" triangle...and then smooth it out to form a flowing curve to remove as much of the stresses as possible. And even then, the crack could come back.

I had a pre-serial 20" 602 at 2400 gms for the past 10 months....for sale locally at $125. Zero interest....even those who looked at it in person....at any price. Only thing wrong with it was the tiniest of a notch/crack in the bell hole - 1-2 mm or so. Probably been there forever. The seller didn't even notice it - I got them to drop the price from $130 to $120....lol. Finally tossed it up on Reverb a few months ago and netted around $118 for it....seller paid around $150 shipped/taxed. There are plenty of these out there. Be fussy when buying vintage, used 20" rides....because most everyone is the same way....and 20" rides are very common.

View attachment 434416
Thank you for the sound advice. I wound up walking away from that deal. Like you said, there are plenty out there and better to be picky then get stuck with something I’m not 100% happy with.