Ride suggestions for using rods...

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a lot of alternative sticks such as cool rods, hot rods, assorted nylon brushes, etc. for a roots project. I have been on the hunt for a 20” ride that responds well to the rods. Looking for a brighter sound that can somewhat be heard. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Problem with rods is they never really trigger a ride. No ride will reach its full potential when played with rods. If you want a bright sound, you could use a heavier, more sibilant rid (Paise 2002 etc.), but you'll never hear much of it because of the small surface/insufficient mass of the rods.
I'd look into alternative sticks/rods: I remember some plastic rods with a nylon stick tip in the center.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I use the Headhunters Sandman for the style you are doing. The long plastic loops give some volume to the sound on cymbals and on heads. They work great. They a bunch of creations that you might want to investigate.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Tape a penny on the end of one of your rods? I cut my hot rods down a little and remove the top ring of tape, gives em a little more spread.