Ride weight preference?

blownaway

Reaction score
What is your ideal weight for a 22” ride cymbal? I found that 2500 grams hits the sweet spot for me. Just enough wash, ping, crash with my lower pitch preference. I’ve been trying out Zildjian cymbals and they seem to have a pretty wide spread of weight within the same line.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, 2500 is generally the target for a 22. Of course there are lots of exceptions, because the hammering, profile, thickness at bell relative to edge, and other factors play into how a cymbal sounds; and we all have a different idea of what we want to hear.

I like to use two rides side by side, for different tones, and sometimes that means one is heavy and the other is light, even if they're the same diameter.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite 22" are the Paiste DE MKII at around 2950 grams, and Masters Dark Ride at around 2650 grams, and HHX Legacy Heavy Ride at 2895 grams.

They all have similar qualities, just more or less stick/wash ratio. The Masters Dark has the best crash sound, the DE MKII has the most stick sound. The HHX is right in the middle.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a ride than can still crash I'd probably look at 2600-2800 gms. Fwiw, I've been more than happy for 35 yrs with my heavy mid-60's ride at 3400 gm. Fantastic bell. Probably not far from a ping ride. Not much for crashing though.