Rides you love on records

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always loved the sound on Pink Floyds Dark side of the Moon. That sweet ride sound on "Money" is just gorgeous. What is that, a Paiste 602 or 2002?

In jazz its Jon Christensen. Love his sound.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
gezz said:
Halldor... dark side of the moon was a 20" 2oo2 and John christansen was a 22" 2oo2 ...

Gerry
Thanks. I know Jon has used various cymbals through the years and I believe the one most famous is an old Istanbul made heavy orchestral K, weighing almost 4000gr. That's what I have heard from various folks.

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
Halldor L said:
Halldor... dark side of the moon was a 20" 2oo2 and John christansen was a 22" 2oo2 ...
Gerry
Thanks. I know Jon has used various cymbals through the years and I believe the one most famous is an old Istanbul made heavy orchestral K, weighing almost 4000gr. That's what I have heard from various folks.
He is in my "Paiste profiles" set up book from 1981

Gerry

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
gezz said:
Stay with me till dawn... Peter van hook, Judy Tzuke
HOLY CRAP! What a song! I've had it on repeat for the last hour. I can't believe I haven't heard this in my 37 years. And I heard a couple of versions by her from this decade, and she sings it the SAME. Real talented lady.

The cymbal isn't bad neither ;) . Do we know what it was? Interestingly, it sounds like the same band that was on Sheena Easton's records at the time (I know that Van Hooke was the drummer.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Miles Davis - Milestones has Philly Joe, not Tony. Also, Tony only plays hats on the "In a Silent Way" album. Jack does more of the drumming duties on that one

My faves

Alex Van Halen - 1984 album, but "Hot for Teacher" in particular (22" Rude??)

Stewart Copeland - The Police - Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity (something about that 24" Rude Ride/Crash and his touch on that cymbal, it's extraordinary)

Jack DeJohnette - his "Special Edition" band (Paiste 22" SCDR) and also his mid 90's work with Keith Jarrett, Gateway Trio, and Herbie Hancock (21" JD Encore Ride, 22" JD Encore mini-bell)

Tony Williams - Miles Davis - Miles Smiles

Paul Motian - he could make any ride sound great, but I think he may have play F602s for a while.

Al Foster - Joe Henderson - So Near, So Far (Musings for Miles) - either a 22" SCDR or a 22" Signature Mellow Ride. Always thought it was the latter.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
This recording, as much as any other, made me want to be a drummer. I was 14, had been 'playing' for a few years, and this did it for me. It was only until years later that I discovered it's theatrical origins.

The ultimate crash ride, in my view. Probably a 22" A crash/ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
xipa4 said:
Milestones - Miles Davis (Tony Williams).
That was Philly Joe Jones playing on that album...

But favourite ride album has gotta be Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock (Tony Williams).

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
gezz said:
Paul Motian played a 20" 2oo2 sizzle Ride and a 20" 2oo2 standard ride..
Gerry
I'm not so sure that those profile books are accurate. They had an endorsement and probably picked those cymbals out but often on gigs they seem to use their favs. Motian states in a Modern Drummer interview from april/may 1980 that he had his 20" A sizzle for about 20 years and that he has a second ride on the left that is an old K. He says he uses a mixed hihat with a Paiste 'ripple' on the bottom and K on top. He says he used those "on his recordings". I guess that means with Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett etc. There's a later MD where Motian has some Paistes and a Gretsch set. I cant find the issue right now.

Reaction score
Al Jackson Jr...Booker T and the MG's...Green Onions

Carter Beauford...Dave Matthews Band...#41

Stewart Copeland...The Police...Every Breath You Take and King Of Pain

Phil Ehart...Kansas...Carry On Wayward Son

Sib Hashian...Boston...Foreplay/Long Time

Tequila by The Champs (don't know who played drums)

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you don't know what is being played on the record. Larry Mullen plays Paiste live but there is some footage of him recording with Z!