Ridiculous offers made for vintage gear

Hobbs

Reaction score
I thought other sellers might enjoy this one : some guy made an offer on a vintage drum - doesn't matter what - for $200. Asking price is well over 1k (in listing it shows that a $135 repair was recently made) ~ the unit, though technically incomplete, is essentially brand new (41+ years old). I reject his offer; and then he makes the same $200 offer with the following argument:

I have the exact model your trying to sell I purchased it in 1978, I only paid 170.00 for it, I get what your trying to do cash in on a nostalgia drum ...

If I weren't single I think I'd scour Facebook for old girlfriends and see if the old dinner and a movie routine gets one as far.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
According the the Bureau of Labor Inflation Calculator $170 in 1978 is the equivalent of $685.54 in November 2018 (that's as far as the official stats go for 2018 so far -- they are about as far behind as my own price work is). That's the context of how prices changed before taking into account "collectability" or any other factors. But I doubt he would get it. I recently came across a helpful quote for these situations:

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into" (Dave Hansford, Protecting Paradise 2016)

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Yeah well I remember when old Porsche 911's were 5-8 grand and you could buy 60's Gretsch and Ludwig kits for 500 bucks all day long, and I ain't even that old.

In '78, you could trade a drumkit for a packed bowl and a twelver of Miller - if he really thinks you're out of line, maybe you should offer him $175 for his.

Tell Rip Van Winkle there that things changed in the couple decades he was sleeping under that tree.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the collectibles I've dealt with a 30X to 50X price rise for high quality collectibles from around 1975 is normal. Even the Dow index is up 20-30X its 1970 levels. Lesser quality collectibles though still very desirable maybe only 3X to 10X increases. Comic books, rare coins, antiques, paintings, etc. Yeah, that 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible only cost $5K or so brand new. Today, the best ones are $2-$3 MILL each, and even hulking projects would be near a $1 MILL.

I get a kick looking through the 1960's Slingerland catalogs where complete pro drum kits were $250-$450. And had they been stored mint and unused since birth, they'd be worth 5X to 10X the original purchase price.

cutaway79

Reaction score
I thought other sellers might enjoy this one : some guy made an offer on a vintage drum - doesn't matter what - for $200. Asking price is well over 1k (in listing it shows that a $135 repair was recently made) ~ the unit, though technically incomplete, is essentially brand new (41+ years old). I reject his offer; and then he makes the same $200 offer with the following argument:

I have the exact model your trying to sell I purchased it in 1978, I only paid 170.00 for it, I get what your trying to do cash in on a nostalgia drum ...

If I weren't single I think I'd scour Facebook for old girlfriends and see if the old dinner and a movie routine gets one as far.
Ugh, I hate those people. They either try to bully you, or try to make you feel stupid/bad for asking a totally fair price. That crap don't fly.

I remember, in the early '00s, being able to find nice condition 4/5-piece DW Collectors kits in the Recycler and Ebay for between $1,200 and $1,500. Same kits now are over $2,000 consistently.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Ugh, I hate those people. They either try to bully you, or try to make you feel stupid/bad for asking a totally fair price. That crap don't fly.

I remember, in the early '00s, being able to find nice condition 4/5-piece DW Collectors kits in the Recycler and Ebay for between $1,200 and $1,500. Same kits now are over $2,000 consistently.
I’m dealing with it on Reverb and Facebook all the time, and I sell cars for a living too. Had a guy offer 20k for a 30k used car that was priced about 1000 under market already. I WISH we EVER made that kind of profit on ANYTHING! LOL

Although I wasn’t collecting drums a few decades ago, I was playing guitar. In 1999 or so, a brand new Taylor 300 series all-solid wood acoustic guitar with factory electronics was around $1000 brand new - I know because I bought one. That same guitar now is twice the price.

cutaway79

Reaction score
I’m dealing with it on Reverb and Facebook all the time, and I sell cars for a living too. Had a guy offer 20k for a 30k used car that was priced about 1000 under market already. I WISH we EVER made that kind of profit on ANYTHING! LOL

Although I wasn’t collecting drums a few decades ago, I was playing guitar. In 1999 or so, a brand new Taylor 300 series all-solid wood acoustic guitar with factory electronics was around $1000 brand new - I know because I bought one. That same guitar now is twice the price.
I wonder if these people actually don't understand how the value of things can change... Or if they're hoping that they can convince you that what you have isn't worth it, so that they can get a good deal.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I empathize. As you may know you can set Reverb and eBay settings to auto decline low offers or just not accept offers in general. Of course this is different for person to person sales however an ad can say no offers.

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
I think there's two sides to this: 1. Low ballers, who are usually flipper types looking to maximize their profit, and 2. Sellers who are asking insane prices, NOT based on current SELLING prices. The market controls this.

You're certainly welcome to ask whatever price you want, but if it's way out of wack from current selling prices, don't be surprised if you get your balls busted a bit. As annoying as low ballers are, so is the guy who thinks $400.00 for a 70's Acro is fair.

Extremism is the enemy.

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah well I remember when old Porsche 911's were 5-8 grand and you could buy 60's Gretsch and Ludwig kits for 500 bucks all day long, and I ain't even that old.

In '78, you could trade a drumkit for a packed bowl and a twelver of Miller - if he really thinks you're out of line, maybe you should offer him $175 for his.

Tell Rip Van Winkle there that things changed in the couple decades he was sleeping under that tree.
I like this idea "if he really thinks you're out of line, maybe you should offer him $175 for his." I'd love to hear what he has to say to that.

SAZ

Hobbs

Reaction score
Being polite isn't always easy when the offer's accompanied with some form of sideways dialog ~ normally I either ignore or counter at the opposite end of the spectrum &/or plant them on the block list. But if the potential buyer begins with sassy questioning without fail that means he wasn't really interested anyway, but rather interested in only chipping away at the listing (because irritated he couldn't possibly afford it). At this point I sometimes indulge in a devilishly florid response.

As for asking $ being inflated for a listing ... if the drum/kit I've listed is (usually) collector + I've spent HOURS detailing it, yeah, there's going to be a premium over and above your normal vintage drum/kit; or if condition is way above typical item X. Normally these drums are BIN w/ offers. By tagging on the high end you weed out the wannabes and signal that it's for SERIOUS buyers only.

For as many of the dinks out there commenting on how ridiculous the $ for item X is, there's another who GETS it (again : hours detailing + collector) : the split's 60/40 as most drummers are cheap, cheap, cheap. Nothing wrong trying to score a deal.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Post a link to your item. Lots of potential buyers here.
The drum is not the point. Well aware there's a sale section (thank you, though) on which I never post items here or VDF ... but I would sell to any member that contacted me on ebay / Reverb. Any anonymity I have I prefer to keep that way.

I'm not twelve, and don't need to post every fart and burp I pass on FAKEBOOK or any other social muddle platform since most of it's toxic and bowshih. I hear enough from others here and elsewhere that much of what happens is absolute nonsense ... and have in fact been informed by FB/DF/VDF users whenever I have any high priced drum/kit that's being ridiculed along with my character, a real melee at times. Fun! And almost all making the abuse are absolutely and completely uninformed and blatantly wrong about what they've leveled my way~ which, again, appears to be a symptom of these sites.

Once, I was getting reamed about a showroom Ludwig BDP JF that I fully detailed (Simichrome, Novus 1+2), and they were slaying an invisible adversary terribly saying that the "WRAP LOOKED TOO GOOD," the grommet fake, yawn yawn ... + somehow they got wind of my knowing about it, were challenged + corrected on every point and, then what??? The entire FB thread was furiously deleted because they didn't want to go on with life looking so stupid. Isn't it funny how its always the biggest howlers who are the loudest squealers?

I had 3 showroom JF snares (this being 1 of them) sell to the same buyer in 1 month. I won't kiss and tell what the tally was but let's just say you wouldn't believe me if I did.

Last edited:

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The drum is not the point. Well aware there's a sale section (thank you, though) on which I never post items here or VDF ... but I would sell to any member that contacted me on ebay / Reverb. Any anonymity I have I prefer to keep that way.

I'm not twelve, and don't need to post every fart and burp I pass on FAKEBOOK or any other social muddle platform since most of it's toxic and bowshih. I hear enough from others here and elsewhere that much of what happens is absolute nonsense ... and have in fact been informed by FB/DF/VDF users whenever I have any high priced drum/kit that's being ridiculed along with my character, a real melee at times. Fun! And almost all making the abuse are absolutely and completely uninformed and blatantly wrong about what they've leveled my way~ which, again, appears to be a symptom of these sites.

Once, I was getting reamed about a showroom Ludwig BDP JF that I fully detailed (Simichrome, Novus 1+2) + somehow they got wind of my knowing about it, were challenged + corrected on every point, and, then what??? The entire FB thread was furiously deleted because they didn't want to go on with life looking so stupid. Isn't it funny how its always the biggest howlers who are the loudest squealers?
Yup. I agree 100%
Happens to me as well when I sell and that's only occasionally.
FB is the biggest idiot fest going.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I like this idea "if he really thinks you're out of line, maybe you should offer him $175 for his." I'd love to hear what he has to say to that.

SAZ
I totally agree with this. I would love to hear his response!
Based on Endowment Effect his response would be that his is worth more. But questioning him is only useful if you think he is genuine rather than just a low-baller or a troll.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
I'm convinced there are a bunch of people out there who are simply 'pathological low ballers'. They just go fishing to see how low somebody will go.
I don't even respond to somebody offering less than 50% asking price. No reply warranted. Its simply rude on their part. I don't even engage with argument. Then there is no reply to deal with, no 'bullying guilt trip' arguments.