Right and left side rides in a small jazz group

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please give me your thoughts on this in terms of cymbal types, reasons for the choices etc.
I’m trying out a 20” Bos, on the right and a 22” K mod by Jessie Simpson on the left.
Should those be switched around based on size only ?
Is there a traditional approach as to what is typical
Thnx

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are no rules here at all except the rule of experimenting and the old adage.....size doesn't matter. More a case of which sound you want from which side.
I read somewhere....years ago now....Elvin Jones would switch the "order" of his cymbals around on purpose. Worked out for him pretty good.
bt

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to be able to play and keep time
on either
the right or the left.

Last edited:

toddbishop

Reaction score
Usually the larger one will be on the right. The main cymbal should be substantial and flexible and nice-sounding enough to play it all the time. The left side is usually a contrasting timbre, often lighter, sometimes heavier, if the main cymbal is very light. It could be a more interesting cymbal that you wouldn't normally want to ride on all night. One of the two may have rivets.

But it should really follow your playing needs. What do you want to do with the second cymbal? Lately I just use a 17" crash on the left-- the Cymbal & Gong 17" thin crash I use handles unusually well as a ride cymbal, but I'd be fine even if it didn't. I like my main ride cymbal enough to play it all night without jumping to other cymbals, and I like the ability to punch an actual crash that is fast and not overwhelming in volume.

Hopefully any of them will fulfill normal jazz functions of being good for riding, crashing, and accenting.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to be able to play Time on both
right and left.

not necessarily..
I've watched (and played) right/left jazz small group set ups for 40+ years.

20/18 is the typical small group setup for most mortals. both having the ability to play Time on.

18" old Ks. ..are always great left side rides
come down from there
I had an Istanbul 18" Jazz Ride (model/ink) that worked for years)
seen old 18" 2oo2 do left side ride duties.

Good Luck
You want to be able to Ride (for a sustained amount of time- an entire chorus or many more) (and not have the cymbal constantly "opening up"..) Both Sides; the cymbal being (settled) ......able to sustain playing time on
Your point about not opening up constantly is interesting, and does address my questions. Controlling my big 22 K w a little bop kit and piano trio context will be what I work on.
Thnx

Reactions: JDA

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Lately I’ve been playing my 22” Swish on the left side. I really like it, so I’ll leave it up like that for a while. 21" Paiste Masters Dry Ride in the traditional ride position on the right (or a 20" Sig Traditional Medium Light Ride).

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't decide based on size but rather on sound and keep a flat ride on left for the quieter soloists and a more cutting conventional ride on the right.
That's me exactly, flat left, conventional right, both are 20" Paiste Prototypes.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz should not be hidebound - go ahead and try different types and sizes, different placement, different sounds until you hit on something that works for you. Most of the time when I'm playing jazz, I don't even use a crash but I always play two rides, the main one is an 18 sizzle and the second one is an 18 flat ride. They're both on the ride side, with the flat ride positioned below and partially under the main ride. This allows me to go back and forth from one to the other quickly and easily with just a slight move of the wrist. When playing jazz, most of my playing takes place on the ride cymbal, so it's nice to have a couple of contrasting sounds, and the sound of a ride with rivets and a flat ride both say "jazz" to me.

2020-01-01-PiratesCove002.JPG

2019-11-03-BlackwallHitchVA014.JPG

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz should not be hidebound - go ahead and try different types and sizes, different placement, different sounds until you hit on something that works for you. Most of the time when I'm playing jazz, I don't even use a crash but I always play two rides, the main one is an 18 sizzle and the second one is an 18 flat ride. They're both on the ride side, with the flat ride positioned below and partially under the main ride. This allows me to go back and forth from one to the other quickly and easily with just a slight move of the wrist. When playing jazz, most of my playing takes place on the ride cymbal, so it's nice to have a couple of contrasting sounds, and the sound of a ride with rivets and a flat ride both say "jazz" to me.

View attachment 493635

View attachment 493636
I play a lot of Jazz and use a my 1st ever new 1968 18in Zilco ride with 1 rivet as my main ride. 1 have a Sabian 19in Dave Weckl Legacy crash that rides as well. I like the sound contrast and play the Zilco on the right near the floor tom and the Sabian right in front slightly overhanging the mounted tom which is centered on the snare. That way I can go from snare to mounted tom and cymbal and back using it for accents while riding the Zilco. In instances where I want a softer sound I ride the Sabian or crash it with my right hand and don't have to reach across as I would if set up in the common manner. But I like your set up as well and will give it a try.

petereather

Reaction score
I play ping on right medium on left both 20s just bought 18 custom too replace the medium ? Hope this works don't play jazz more rock funk style . If that makes sense to anybody . If don't work might have a good deal on cymbal . Play that Funky Music White Boy

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use two rides as part of my setup for my Big Band gigs . The main ride position has a 22” Sabian Artisan Light ride , I have a 20” Artisan ride to the right of the main ride position . On the Left I have a 19” Artisan crash .
The Artisan Crash makes a very nice light ride as well . Well suited for playing under a Piano solo .
I like the combination of the two Artisan rides as they have a nice combination of features that work well together , plus the 20” light ride is crashable as well .

Another combination of right and left side rides I ha w purchase during the pandemic that I have high hopes for is as follows :
22” Paiste Traditional Light ride in the main ride position
20” Paiste Masters Dark Crash ride with rivets .
Both of these cymbals are crashable and have a nice amount of stick definition too.