RIMS out of production

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, but to refer to RIMS mounts as a fad is simply stupid. They make a huge difference in the amount of sustain and resonance coming out of a drum. There's no substitute sonically for a RIMS mount. Now, some people don't like that resonant, ballsy, low end rich tone and prefer a dead, chokey sound...I get it. No shell mounted tom mount will resonate like a RIMS mount will. Yes, some are better than others, i.e., INDe mount, but it still isn't the same sonically as a RIMS mount. Also, they can make setups a bit of a pain in the arse...I get it. All true, but to say it is a fad after 40 years of tried and true results is not true.
Agree 1000%. I have to wonder if anyone who would call RIMs a fad has ever tried them, and if so, what they were hearing.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a local machine shop make a couple odd sized RIMS a few years back. Had them chrome plated and can't tell the difference from the original ones...
I am very convinced that there isn't anything you can't do! You have such great skills and have made some truly amazing drums over the years! Cheers, brother!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 packs of the Flex Frame clips. We’ll see…

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure having a plethora of RIMS knock-offs available (vibra-bands, Gibraltar, Cannon, etc.) didn't help matters. The authentic Gauger alloy RIMS were the final refinement of the general concept and the best implementation of that idea.

I'd imagine at least some of the steel copies of the original design will likely remain available. Not as nice, but they do work.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aluminum has gone up 200-300% in the last year and a half plus the shops that Anodize the rims have a tremendous backlog and getting parts through is taking three times as long. I'm sure for him to keep his same margins most people would choke on the price increase.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, I just received an email indicating my order has been shipped and is on its way. Of course, that was for two sets of Flex Frame clips. Not sure about the ISO mounts. BUT, they appear to still be in business for the moment.

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
Aluminum has gone up 200-300% in the last year and a half plus the shops that Anodize the rims have a tremendous backlog and getting parts through is taking three times as long. I'm sure for him to keep his same margins most people would choke on the price increase.

I bought a 13" RIMS from Gauger in April and paid $90, which was a lot higher than the $70 or so I paid for the one before that. But now I see that the price on their remaining 13s is up to $127. Glad I got one when the price was still "low".

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another drum fad gets thrown into the drum closet already stuffed with drumstick tape, rack/cages and drummer-specific gloves and shoes!
--------------------------------------------------
We'll always have counter-weighted/double leg cymbal stands (sob...)

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use mine every gig...they really do a nice job with isolating the drum and getting the most out of your sound

F

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Companies really need to start sourcing local materials, or alternatively moving to where the materials they need are located.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just ordered tnr snare rim holder. Will start another post about what I think.
tnrproducts.com
I saw a YouTube video review with some pretty dramatic results. Who knows? For $20 was worth the try.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Companies really need to start sourcing local materials, or alternatively moving to where the materials they need are located.
Not really a factor in this case. Gary has used local sources for everything possible over the years. When he first started he got the steel from a local company, had the flanges welded locally, had them plated locally. The rubber grommets were made by a local company. All of this was done so he could be involved in every step along the way. More recently he was getting his aluminum from a local supplier which cost him more because he didn't buy in large quantities. He didn't buy in larger quantities because he found that the aluminum he was getting did not react well to long term storage - it became slightly brittle and could not be formed as easily. Besides, even if he were living across the street from a factory were aluminum is made the price would still be prohibitive.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Not really a factor in this case. Gary has used local sources for everything possible over the years. When he first started he got the steel from a local company, had the flanges welded locally, had them plated locally. The rubber grommets were made by a local company. All of this was done so he could be involved in every step along the way. More recently he was getting his aluminum from a local supplier which cost him more because he didn't buy in large quantities. He didn't buy in larger quantities because he found that the aluminum he was getting did not react well to long term storage - it became slightly brittle and could not be formed as easily. Besides, even if he were living across the street from a factory were aluminum is made the price would still be prohibitive.
On the surface you're right. I'm talking about going further up the line.