RINGO and....Ray Wylie Hubbard??

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's nuts! Ray Wylie is strongly in the wheelhouse of a bunch of the singer songwriters I work with, so it blows my mind first that Don Was is on this. Then, there's Joe Walsh. But Ringo on there really puts this over the top, and he's....hey, got a nice career ahead of him as an Americana session drummer. Sounds fantastic! (Excuse me a minute, got a call coming in... Bernard Purdie on line one.)

My guess would be that Was is producing a bunch of these guys. Is he doing a Ringo album? Perhaps a Hubbard album, maybe one for Walsh? Detroit Dog that he is, Was has a knack for getting interesting people together.

Geez, Ringo sounds great on that!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Ringo looks totally into it!
Dancing around - He's having himself a blast!

Trivia: Ray was born 15 miles from my place at a tiny community called Soper, Ok.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, so he's an Okie. I always associated him with the huge number of Texas songwriters... right next door, anyway.

Mr. Starr indeed seems to be having a ball, and looks fit as a fiddle!

Thanks for posting, Steven.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Be nice to see him in a band situation. he really hasn't been a part "of a band" that I can think of since the Beatles; if you know what I mean; this seems close.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
"Kelter-ish" is hilarious!
Just like Little Richard was very "McCartney-ish!"

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't think I get what you mean. Spell it out for me.
Keltner is widely regarded as being heavily influenced by Ringo, not the other way around. On an early solo album, Lennon himself reportedly asked Keltner to "play it like Ringo." Ringo sounds like Ringo. Keltner sounds like Ringo too.

So, saying Ringo sounded like Keltner is like saying Little Richard sounded like McCartney.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keltner is widely regarded as being heavily influenced by Ringo, not the other way around. On an early solo album, Lennon himself reportedly asked Keltner to "play it like Ringo." Ringo sounds like Ringo. Keltner sounds like Ringo too.

So, saying Ringo sounded like Keltner is like saying Little Richard sounded like McCartney.

Mono:

370647A6-1654-4D57-A5D6-C8DA80F64C4C.jpeg

Stereo:

DA16429A-F537-4FE9-995E-7EAC0F292B1F.jpeg

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ray Wylie Hubbard writes lyrics the same way Warren Zevon did. He's a genius that doesn't take himself too seriously. It's mostly tongue-in-cheek, but always rings true. I'm just glad that the industry seems to be getting behind him, finally, now that he's in his 70's.

DWFunk

Reaction score

First off I didn't say Ringo "sounded" like Keltner. Doesn't matter who was influenced by who. I was simply pointing out that Ringo played this song very similar to what Keltner would have played. It was just an observation, not an "expert" opinion.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
First off I didn't say Ringo "sounded" like Keltner. Doesn't matter who was influenced by who. I was simply pointing out that Ringo played this song very similar to what Keltner would have played. It was just an observation, not an "expert" opinion.
Awh, and we were all playing so nice.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I could have used a little more 'ring (no pun) character in the snare..
Possibly in the floor and the other drums too. Seemed just touch dead (again no pun..) Think deadness sapped a little color from that beautiful looking ( Black Diamond ala Exotic one off?) drum set.
Good lord he hit that far right cymbal hard Ian Paice (nor age) has nothing on him there.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
probably an old 16A nothing special.. ; ) or even a new A or new K.. It's how it's hit (like how it's hit applies to most cymbals..)

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love RWH. "Conversation with the Devil" is one of my favorites. I heard this song the other day on Sirius Outlaw Country -- great to know that is Ringo on the track.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Evidently, Ray and Ringo have been pals for some time now.
This clip was uploaded in 2013.

He mentions being "a kid from Oak Cliff" in the video, but his actual birthplace was Soper, Ok. as noted earlier.

Early life

Hubbard was born in the town of Soper, Oklahoma.[1] His family moved to Oak Cliff in southwest Dallas, Texas, in 1954.

It's funny that whenever I drive thru Soper there's a sign on the edge of town reading "Welcome To Soper, Ok, Home Of Freckles Brown"
(A famous Rodeo Clown) but no mention of Ray.