RINGO and....Ray Wylie Hubbard??

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
First off I didn't say Ringo "sounded" like Keltner. Doesn't matter who was influenced by who. I was simply pointing out that Ringo played this song very similar to what Keltner would have played. It was just an observation, not an "expert" opinion.
I didn't mean to be snarky. I honestly thought both you and Nacci were joking. As if a guitar player, tongue-in-check, said "you know, that Hendrix guy sure played that tune a lot like Stevie Ray Vaughn would have." Ha, ha.

I was twice asked to explain why I thought it was funny (which i wrongly assumed was obvious). I offered it. I probably should have just left it alone. I'm sorry to have offended.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love to play a pocket that deep like that just once...:cool:
Just do it. Nothing complicated about this one. Unless I’m missing the inner nuances that only Ringo can provide on this beat. I’m sure it won’t be long before I’m enlightened on how this one is harder than it sounds but somehow still have confidence that so many on here can play this beat.

Last edited:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
This is really cool for me since I am a big Ringo fan and also lived in Austin in the 70's and went to the old Saxon Pub a lot, where all those guys played. I can't hear Hubbard's name without thinking of "Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother." Jerry Jeff got a lot of mileage out of that song. I actually sold Jerry a man's wedding ring. How weird is that? Anyway, I would go to hear Steve Fromholz and no telling who would show up. Willie was new in town, Rusty Weir, Shake Russell and the Ewing Street Times and Jerry Jeff. Michael Murphy later became a big commercial success. He was awesome! Kinky Friedman and the Cosmic Cowboys added another twist to the genre. Steve Fromholz wrote the Willie hit, I'd Have To Be Crazy, Half Out Of My Mind, To Fall Out Of Love With You. Ace

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Just do it. Nothing complicated about this one. Unless I’m missing the inner nuances that only Ringo can provide on this beat. I’m sure it won’t be long before I’m enlightened on how this one is harder than it sounds but somehow still have confidence that so many on here can play this beat.
Maybe you want to demonstrate it for us? Are you denying that there is ANY nuance? Any drummer can play this beat and should sound good, if not, dqydj. However, I'm sure you know, it's not what you play, is it, it's how you play. All good drummers play for the song, have their own God-given talents and have followed a path that makes them play the way they do. Ringo is just another. If you were gigging when that whole thing happened (Beatles) you might look at lots of thing differently. Each drummer has their own feel, no? Or, do we all sound the same?

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe you want to demonstrate it for us?
I'm working from home and don't have a kit setup at the moment (in a town-home). I posted some vids on the Post Your Drumming thread. If you like, you can glance at a few videos and determine if you think I can handle playing kick on 1 and 3 with snare on 2 and 4. Maybe I can, maybe I can't. I'll let you be that judge... but I still think that most of the drummers on this forum could do well playing everything Ringo played in the video.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I have no doubt that you are a competent drummer. Does your playing have any nuance specific to your drumming life experience, or would about any drummer in this forum sound pretty much the same?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that you are a competent drummer. Does your playing have any nuance specific to your drumming life experience, or would about any drummer in this forum sound pretty much the same?
I'm sure it does. There is much about my drumming that makes me sound like me, but that does not mean that a track I record can't be replicated or that this Ringo track would only sound like this by Ringo. This track is simple enough to where just about any drummer who is competent can replicate it in that band setting, my response was to a drummer saying "I'd love to play a pocket that deep like that just once... " and he can. You can. We all can, especially with a beat like this. Just do it. There are many drummers on this forum and off that could record that same beat like that and I suspect it would be hard to pick which is Ringo from the recording if the beat is played as displayed.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Well, it would be more about picking good feel cuts rather than which one is Ringo, but would he not be among the 'good feel' group? I'm pretty sure Old K knows a pocket when he hears one and has played them. If he wants to express his appreciation of something on a thread of like minded people, you gotta show him he's wrong? Oh well