Ringo Hi-Hat Stand 1123 Economy ? or timing?

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one of Richard Kings auctions. Where DOES he find all this nice stuff?

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but , i've bought stuff from him in the past. It's all in presentation {great, close-up photos , and detailed information, including some reference pics...That's what Sells ! But, in this case...Why so low?

stokesbros

Reaction score
In my experience lately - everything is way down. I've got a nice 72 supra (pitted) for $155.00 - 16 watchers - no bidders - sold one just like it a couple of months ago for $185.00 and it lasted about a day. Everything is down about 40% or more. Just like realestate, it's a great time to buy if you've got the bucks.....

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
that sale is a good indication of what a lot of stuff is doing at auction right now. very nice stand as all his stuff seems to be.

mike

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rich does have some great looking stuff. Speaking of stuff. Rich would you have the top part of an 1123 hi hat? I need the Black piece that the bottom cymbal lays on that is connected to the tube.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jimmy Willis said:
Rich does have some great looking stuff. Speaking of stuff. Rich would you have the top part of an 1123 hi hat? I need the Black piece that the bottom cymbal lays on that is connected to the tube.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
I needed that piece for mine too. I went into a mom n' pop music store a couple years ago and asked if they had any hi-hat cups. The guy digs around for a while and brings out a newer white nylon job that will work. I look at it and see it will fit but ask him if he happens to have one in black. He goes back and digs around a bit more and says "Just this one, but it's old" and comes up with a N.O.S. Ludwig one :) . He apologized because he had to charge me the same $5 even though it was old...I didn't mind.

Talk about a stroke of luck. The only reason I even asked at that particular store was because the music store I went to first was out of stock on Gibraltar ones (I wasn't even attempting to find the right one).

I agree that it seems to be a buyer's market right now, especially for more esoteric stuff like 1123 stands, good time to be buying if you have the money (which I don't :( ).

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
kevin
you have some of coolest stories i have to admit. love 'em. whats the chance of you or anybody finding that nos piece and not even looking for it? too wild.

mike

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Ludwig black slip-on bottom hi hat cup...no tilter screw, if I remember correctly...if anyone's interested, I'll check. I'd be willing to let'er go.

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I bought this 1123 with a 4-pc Black Diamond Pearl Ludwig drum set that was dated from 1965. Three months ago I bought a 1967 Ludwig gold sparkle Hollywood kit ( in hideous condition), just so that I could get the 1123 that came with that kit. I have sold about 25 of these hi-hat stands in the last 30 years of doing drum business. The previous 1123 that I sold in september, went for $360.00. I have gotten as much as $500.00 for them in the past, so yes, the e-bay vintage drum market is "soft", partially due to X-mas.

Jimmy, I don't have any of the 1123 or 1121 black plastic Ludwig bottom cup assemblies at this time. The 1123 stand that I bought in september was missing one, and I used my last cup for that stand.

The 1123 that I just sold, came with the most perfect bottom cup I have ever seen. It was free from cracking, and the center "nipple" was not broken off.

The 1123 "Ringo" hi-hat has several variations, including a few with non-patent-pending footboards. Even though Ludwig only offered this 1123 stand in their 1964 catalog. I have found that Ludwig stored many NOS 1123's, well into the 1970's.

I have to admit, this stand is really a great hi-hat, it is easy to see why Ringo used this version well into the 1970's, including the "Bangladesh" concert, when he had his maple outfit shipped over.

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
about 20 years ago,a local music store had 4 of the black rubber Luddy hi hat cups......I didn't buy them...and they would have only wanted $1 each or so.......wish I would have bought them!