Ringo sitting in with Paul last night

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was this from the 60s? ... cause I didn’t think Ringo played the drums after 69.

Just pulling the leg. :angel4:

I saw the video earlier. Very very cool. Even his brother-in-law Joe Walsh made an appearance to jam on guitar.
Would have been cool to see that one live.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is great. I just wonder why Paul didn't let Abe step off for this? That has me a bit confused.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
uh-oh ^^
guess for same reason he didn't drop the four piano players and four guitarist seven vocalists.. and

ps. Abe had vocal parts to execute too. I do wish Abe would have let Ringo alone take one of the fills but still Ringo played it like he did all those years ago. pretty much. They were Ringo's fills anyway; well one Ringo played Abe doesn't didn't. The right hand/left hand Unison on the Toms stuck out as a Ringo only doing it.

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too risky.
+1

Every time I see Ringo playing for the last 30 years or so, there is always "that other guy." Bissonette. Laboriel Jr.

Ringo's drums have mics, but he's not in the mix. Looks like Ringo asks who's going to lead in (note his nod to the right and click of sticks together, presumably at Abe), but Paul calls it in, and Ringo misses the first note.

It still works, though. It's all about the majesty of the moment. But we're hearing Abe, and seeing--but not hearing--Ringo and his fills.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't make it through all of that, but I guess it's nice to see them together.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
As I said on the other thread, A cool moment that I think would have been made ten times cooler by Abe Laborial leaving the stage for fans to actually hear The Ringed One and The Cute One play together.

lcondo123

Reaction score
It always seems like pulling Ringo up at these shows isn't very well rehearsed, as Ringo's often just playing along to Abe and forgets where he is in the song sometimes. Keeping Abe up there makes rehearsing a billion times easier, as they can run through the songs two or three times with Ringo and be good to go. Having Abe step off the kit and letting Ringo take full drum position would require a lot more legitimate rehearsal with Ringo, which requires time that I doubt Paul has while on his massive tours.

You can still hear Ringo playing, and he sounds great. He looked absolutely amped going into Helter Skelter.

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think the audience cares too much about Ringo's proficiency on the drums. Most likely, like me, they are happy to see him healthy and having a good time. Leaving Abe up there covers the lack of rehearsal that took place. The song sounded great, the fans were thrilled and everyone went home happy. The drummers in the audience that may not approve don't matter that much. However, this forum is about drumming, so I understand the critique. Long live Ringo. I for one dread the day when he can't get up on stage.

shnootre

Reaction score
Yeah, Ringo has always had another guy going for the past several decades - every clip I’ve seen. I guess in one sense it kind of speaks to a humble side? I swear that you can hear a couple of fills though (where Ringo is clearly filling, and Abe is playing straight time).

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My nephew was at this show. Very lucky to have been there, IMO.

I hope all of us are not judged as harshly in our older years as Ringo has been. From my perspective, Ringo laid the tracks for tons of songs decades ago that are still being played today. We all should be so lucky to have had an impact on music (and drummers) as he has had. Having a side man takes the pressure off him if he is having an off-night, dealing with age related issues, energy levels, etc. That man has nothing to prove to anyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts