Ringo sitting in with Paul last night

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I remain incredulous that there are so-called "musicians" who need VIDEO PROOF to believe that someone with such a distinctive style as Ringo actually recorded all those classic Beatles tracks that are brimming over with Ringo-isms.

You can't HEAR that???? Really?

There is no way any other drummer could have played those parts. LISTEN!! Not Purdie, not anyone else (except sometimes Paul, who's not as good, but sounds very similar for obvious reasons).

Even though I'm not a Rush fan, in the hypothetical scenario, if Simon Phillips played the tracks on some record years ago, I could probably HEAR the difference. Certainly, Rush/Peart fans would hear the difference.
It's the same with those that just "don't get the Beatles." I refuse to believe that any musician or percussionist cannot find at least a half a dozen Beatle songs that they like if they try. Ace

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always wonder if we hadn't had these Ringo trolls all these years, maybe he would have blessed us with an appearance here? Ace

It’s relatively well known that Peart abandoned an online group after the members outed him and began the usual member behavior.

I’m glad Ringo has kept away. It would break my heart to have to read some insecure individuals comments directed at him live. There are civil lines that really don’t need to be explored.

Last edited:

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Sir Paul in 2002 and it was one of my top 5 concerts ever - it was magical!
Having grown up in LA, I've seen a lot of bands/shows. But I felt like a 14 year old girl in 1965 watching him! I am pretty sure it was the same band (Abe was on drums & I recall the blonde guitarist; not sure about the other one). All the hits - few oddballs but for the most part, a perfect setlist. I had floor seats and it was just mind blowing that I was in the same room as Paul!!!

I remember seeing Clapton in LA in 1990 and he brought out George Harrison and they played an epic 26 minute Sunshine of your Love! I was too young to see John. Ringo is on my bucket list and although I missed him in 2017 (playing in Stockton 2 hours away), I heard he will be close again (2 hours) on 8/31 - unfortunately I am not here that weekend!

To add insult to injury, I really, REALLY wanted to go see Sir Paul last Wed. in San Jose....but I just didn't like the setlist with a lot of (obscure to me) Wings songs & his new stuff.
Here’s a video from San Jose!
He prefaced it saying George first showed him the song on uke. It was a great show.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, first if all, this is all in good fun, right? So no ill feelings either way...no matter where your opinion falls. So we're good right?

Now here is where these comparisons and analogies to bands like Rush fall apart:

The Beatles were not just a band and Ringo was not just a "drummer". Any more than Elvis or Sinatra were "just some guys who sang pretty good."

You need to take in the cultural phenomenon they were. You need to remember or understand that these "mop tops" were EVERYWHERE. Radio, TV, movies, magazines, DOLLS, fashion mags, lunch boxes, sat. Cartoons, talk shows. They sold Beatle wigs, boots, plastic guitatrs and bobble-heads. They eclipsed every other band and cultural mover and shaker of their era. Even people who hated them and burned their records were impacted by them.

The whole world STOPPED to watch this thing unfold. It was deep and sustained for several years. Go watch some of the early footage....MADNESS! Now, imagine growing up like many if us here, while that was happening in real time. We had the records, the oosters, the concert stubs, the "fan club", yada, yada, yada.

So.....

When you say "Neil Peart" it's like.....yeah....so what? It has nothing to do wth Neil's ability. And, as popular as Rush was\is.....still, NOTHING even close to what hit the world at the time of the Beatles.

Cross-generational, cross-cultural, emulated by millions, influence that extends to this very day. Songs that stood the test of time to become standards. On and on.

And none of this is an exaggeration or just some fanboy's opinion.

Now, you may not like them, you may not believe Ringo even played those songs, you can believe whatever you want.

But you can't deny their impact without being intellectually dishonest in my opinion.

And THAT is why watching Ringo "air drum" is still entertaining and exciting...at least for some of us.

But, if you feel the need to criticize and make fun of him, rub our noses in the fact that he *really* can't play....and that we are just a bunch of numb "fanboys" Have at it if that makes you feel better, we can take it! Lol
This is all so true. And I saw and hear Ringo play on that video - not sure where the "air drum" connotation came from.

Also - the primary reason The Beatles stopped touring is because sound reinforcement systems at the time weren't loud enough to deal with their screaming fans. Think about that. An entire PA industry became what it is today (with the volume, power, and clarity) because of The Beatles. Ha. Now THAT is an impact.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
A mild mannered oboist harnessed the technology of submarine warfare ( EMI) and gave us the Beatles

All the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put Lennon and Harrison back together again .

and Maharishi giggled his way into Swiss bank accounts everywhere .

I'm pretty sure McCartney and Starkey sometimes wish it'd never have happened .

Reactions: JDA

cplueard

Reaction score
It's the same with those that just "don't get the Beatles." I refuse to believe that any musician or percussionist cannot find at least a half a dozen Beatle songs that they like is they try. Ace
I'm that guy, I'm not a fan of theirs but I get why people are. I know a fair amount of musicians my age who just find the Beatles boring. That's not denying their influence, if anything it's recognizing it. I was born in '89 which means musically I'd have about a 20 year backlog of music that was influenced by the Beatles as well as everything that's come out in my lifetime. So going back to the Beatles half the time has the songs feeling half fleshed out and/or nauseatingly bland compared to a lot of other things available. That's not a rip on the Beatles, that's just recognizing their influence and the passage of time. I've heard many of those sounds a hundred times before recorded with better fidelity, instruments, equipment, and musical ability that make it far more pleasing to my ear. I recognize the influence of a Ford Model T as well, but if I had the option of driving a Model T or a modern car I'm going to take the changes that were built upon the Model T that are changes I grew up with before jumping in a Model T.

Roadappledrummer

Reaction score
Man....some people are harsh...Ringo is definitely playing here. So what if Abe is doing the leading. Ringo probably hasn't played theses tunes in forty or more years and they probably did it without rehearsal. Ringo knows and respects Abe and doesn't feel the slightest bit threatened by him...acting exactly like the legend and great guy he is. He was basically a well behaved guest. Too bad he didn't do a ten minute drum solo or turn a couple of classic tunes into a "look at me moment"...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Great melodies really don't get old do they? Chet Adkins said, "it's all about the song." If Lennon/McCartney are recognized as probably the best song writing team in the century, why would any musician need to go against that? The Beatles were also 3 different song writers. They did more with triads and anyone ever. Ace

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've seen Ringo with his All-Stars and that was a great show. The theatre was in the round, so no seat is more than about 70' from the rotating stage. We were probably 50' away. Still, I'd love to see the two of them together like that, even for only a few minutes.

Ringo has always been a showman, it's how he got his name: from the Ringo Starr Time when he was with Rory Storm. Still, his playing was exactly what the Beatles needed, in addition to his personality.

Latest posts