Ringo Teaching Online Drum Lessons

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ringo is teaching online lessons...Well, Master Class. ;-)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
a) o no the world has ended and notifications haven't yet all been sent..
b) if all he mentions is Jim Keltner over and over I will request a refund
c) verification needed this is the actual Ringo Starr

welp guess it is.
" i told this fella once "I'm going to live till the day I see Ringo give drum lessons" man I was joking

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1) Yes, I'd to watch those to see what could be gained from them.

2) No, for $180/year for a subscription that's a negatory.

lcondo123

Reaction score
It appears that I'm the one with the hot take here when I say I'd actually love to watch these.

I'm not paying $180 for 1 hour and 49 minutes of content, but this seems super cool.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a member of MasterClass. It's actually a brilliant service. I've gone through quite a few classes - Ron Howard, Nancy Cartwright, Penn and Teller, Madhur Jaffrey, Joe Holder, Werner Herzog, David Mamet, Herbie Hancock, R.L. Stine, Martin Scorsese, etc etc etc etc.
One of my absolute favorites was Will Wright on game design theory. That was an incredible class and very relavant to many business practices.
The worst - Shiela E. It was horrible. Like a beginner tape for brand new young drummers. Bad.
There are some serious lessons on this service. I study and apply the lessons to my various workloads.
I will watch the Ringo lessons over the next bit and "get back" to you on 'em.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gregg Bissonette told me about this a while back. He helped Ringo prepare and I believe Gregg is asking the questions, or prepared the questions - I may have that wrong.

But in any case, as with anything Ringo does, all the proceeds go to his charity Lotus Fund. I think it will be great. It's Ringo!

DD

Reaction score
There are some serious lessons on this service. I study and apply the lessons to my various workloads.
I will watch the Ringo lessons over the next bit and "get back" to you on 'em.
I’m really fascinated by the whole Masterclass concept and do think it fills a certain gap for a lot of people. There’s a number of interesting people doing all sorts of creative work out there and I just look at it as platform to give some insights and a little ‘peek behind the curtain’ is all. I imagine this would be popular watch for alot of people out there and I’m sure it’d be fun to hear what Ringo had to say. For a general viewer, I’m sure they’d find it a lot of fun to see what Ringo had to say.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First, I am mind boggled by the several negative comments already posted.
If you haven't watched it, don't post it is a waste of money or not educational.
On the price, can you not pay monthly and cancel your subscription after 1 month?

Yes, Gregg worked with Ringo on the content and asked the questions. I think Gregg and Jim Keltner jammed at the end of the course.
Finally....
What ever anyone else thinks.... Ringo was a true pioneer. The Beatles wrote the book on recording, touring, all of which are standards we are all still following.
Ringo went from one mic in a large room recorded to one track of tape, to multiple mics recorded to 16 tracks. He played huge outdoor stadia before anyone had invented PA systems, lighting rigs, monitors etc...
Jeff Porcaro and Steve Jordan have said we stand on the shoulders of those that went before us. And that is certainly true with Ringo!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok. I completed the MasterClass.
First, it was filled with some very interesting details (stories) that I personally had not heard.
I was not aware of the fact he had two kits prior to the Premier kit. That was news to me.
And the bit about who first inspired "Ringo-the drummer" behind the drum kit. That was gold!
Very good insight.
Second, the very short behind the drums lessons were humorous (as they were intended).
He presented the two lessons he gave to his son. Simple. To the point.
Then he moved away from that and spoke on the more ethereal drumming points - feel, creativity, etc.
The overall drumming bits were actually entertaining.
He does not come across as a brilliantly talented drummer.
Instead, he comes across as "Ringo". The limited drummer that overcomes those limitations with incredibly creative ways. And that was highlighted perfectly.
I enjoyed the class and learned a bit more about one of the most influentual drummers ever.
He's very personable and laughs at his own jokes. I like that.
His time with Greg and Jim - priceless. Such fun.
If you don't wish to view it, then don't.
For those that want to see it, though - there are always ways to do a temporary trial to get an idea of what MasterClass is all about.
For me, it is absolutely worth the price of admission.
I learned a long time ago - surround yourself with people way better at the job than you ... and learn from the best.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That right there would will kill it for me. I'd want to hear straight - direct - from the horse's mouth.
we've seen Ringo discuss with another and answer questions with another.
Not at all what this MasterClass was.
Ringo just spoke. No one really "asked" questions.
I honestly was not aware that it was Greg on the other side of the camera.
It was just Ringo telling stories and speaking.
Not sure where that line of thought came from.
I guess it might help to actually watch it?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where that line of thought came from.
(post #10)
Ah I Didn't realize anyone would have jumped in and bought it already. Ok.
wasn't thinking (...) it was even available yet

12 parts he has a lot to fill. Hope he goes into great specific tracks/ detail . Probably will..

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(post #10)
Ah I Didn't realize anyone would have jumped in and bought it already. Ok.
wasn't thinking (...) it was available yet
Ah. i see the confusion. No sweat Joe.
But yeah, MasterClass format is the artist speaks. There are not real interviewers.
It's like a "teacher" speaking to the class (sort of).

Some of the classes are unbelievably great.
To have an artist explain what makes him/her tick on a particular point is so helpful in the journey.
It's insight that we don't normally have.
When Steve Martin got into the meat of editing his comedy ... it really did open up an interesting thought path.
There's so much to learn on there.
Just a brilliant platform.
But I guess it really depends on who a person "is".
If a person's life consists of the day to day grind of one job and home with a bit of tv ... my guess is it's probably not something that person would enjoy.
I do so many different things in my life (day to day) ... it's a great tool for me.
I can see both ideals though ... and I understand the decisions supporting each.

Reactions: JDA

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah. i see the confusion. No sweat Joe.
But yeah, MasterClass format is the artist speaks. There are not real interviewers.
It's like a "teacher" speaking to the class (sort of).

Some of the classes are unbelievably great.
To have an artist explain what makes him/her tick on a particular point is so helpful in the journey.
It's insight that we don't normally have.
When Steve Martin got into the meat of editing his comedy ... it really did open up an interesting thought path.
There's so much to learn on there.
Just a brilliant platform.
But I guess it really depends on who a person "is".
If a person's life consists of the day to day grind of one job and home with a bit of tv ... my guess is it's probably not something that person would enjoy.
I do so many different things in my life (day to day) ... it's a great tool for me.
I can see both ideals though ... and I understand the decisions supporting each.
But I love watching TV. :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always pointed out -here many times- @Mcjnic his technique - in the beginning of this video. The shuffle in the right hand the straight eights in his left to anyone that questioned his technique(s) He looks great in the new Masterclass

Just those first 3 seconds there says it all, says a lot ... carry on.
It's like the old Cowboy shuffle beat/ Act Naturally/ I was there- always loved (who doesn't ) Ringo.

Last edited: