Ringo Teaching Online Drum Lessons

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always pointed out -here many times- @Mcjnic his technique - in the beginning of this video. The shuffle in the right hand the straight eights in his left to anyone that questioned his technique(s) He looks great in the new Masterclass

Just those first 3 seconds there says it all, says a lot ... carry on.
It's like the old Cowboy shuffle beat/ Act Naturally/ I was there- always loved (who doesn't ) Ringo.
COOL video Joe.
I've never seen that one.
Love the simplicity of it.
And yes ... he's got some GREAT feel.

Reactions: JDA

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Gregg Bissonette told me about this a while back. He helped Ringo prepare and I believe Gregg is asking the questions, or prepared the questions - I may have that wrong.

But in any case, as with anything Ringo does, all the proceeds go to his charity Lotus Fund. I think it will be great. It's Ringo!

If these lessons are anything close to Gregg's clinics, then they will be worth watching. Gregg made part of the clinic that I attended, a tribute to Ringo, complete with sheet music to follow along, with Gregg playing the tempos and fills, probably the best drum clinic I ever went to, and I've been to many.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, Metallica has a MasterClass on "being a band".
Interesting.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I have watched a few of the different master classes, my wife's work gave employees a years subscription as gifts for Xmas last year.
Ones I can recommend are....

8 part series on making cocktails

Several on tennis fundamentals, conditionin and mental strategy by Sarina Williams

One on negotiations. Really good for all interactions with bosse, coworkers, band mates
Pretty much any time you want to get the upper hand in any kind of interaction.

Comedy writing by Steve Martin. Just fun to watch

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
It's maimly him telling a lot of stories about his history and first starting. His first bands and then later joining the beatles. He does talk about why his fills are way they are, mostly because he's left handed. Also he goes into detail about how he started using the tea towels and even does a demo.
Here are some pics. Incurring the most expensive drum in the world that he shows off.

Attachments

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
There are 12 episodes in all, each about 15 minutes. I've seen 8 of them. He talks about his style, how he holds his sticks his cymbals what he thinks is important in drumming
His cymbals. It is interesting that he uses 2 high hats.
20211125_111816.jpg

sevenskins

Reaction score
Ok. I completed the MasterClass.
First, it was filled with some very interesting details (stories) that I personally had not heard.
I was not aware of the fact he had two kits prior to the Premier kit. That was news to me.
And the bit about who first inspired "Ringo-the drummer" behind the drum kit. That was gold!
Very good insight.
Second, the very short behind the drums lessons were humorous (as they were intended).
He presented the two lessons he gave to his son. Simple. To the point.
Then he moved away from that and spoke on the more ethereal drumming points - feel, creativity, etc.
The overall drumming bits were actually entertaining.
He does not come across as a brilliantly talented drummer.
Instead, he comes across as "Ringo". The limited drummer that overcomes those limitations with incredibly creative ways. And that was highlighted perfectly.
I enjoyed the class and learned a bit more about one of the most influentual drummers ever.
He's very personable and laughs at his own jokes. I like that.
His time with Greg and Jim - priceless. Such fun.
If you don't wish to view it, then don't.
For those that want to see it, though - there are always ways to do a temporary trial to get an idea of what MasterClass is all about.
For me, it is absolutely worth the price of admission.
I learned a long time ago - surround yourself with people way better at the job than you ... and learn from the best.
Thanks Mcjnic, for your great review of Ringo's Masterclass. It sounds pretty interesting, not only of Ringo, but the whole Masterclass collection. I'm seriously considering the price of admission......

DD

Reaction score
Thanks Mcjnic, for your great review of Ringo's Masterclass. It sounds pretty interesting, not only of Ringo, but the whole Masterclass collection. I'm seriously considering the price of admission......
Not trying to be promoter or sales guy or anything like that, but I also saw where Masterclass is doing a “refer a friend for free subscription “ deal. You could go in with someone and split the cost. So would be $90 subscription. A lot more appealing at that price!