Ringo was left handed?

dingaling

Reaction score
I read he was ambidextrous but he says it himself. He’s left handed but learned on a right handed kit.

This may be old news but it’s new to me.
PS. Did he play a 20” or 22” Ludwig bass drum?

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
I saw him in an interview years ago and he said his unique fill sounds were a result of being left handed. He said people wanted to call his playing genius due to the slight variation in time for his fills when in fact it was just a result of him being slower to get to the fills due to him being left handed.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ringo is left handed (he's 80 and still going strong), or technically "Mixed-Handed" or "Cross-Handed" - The term for doing some things right-handed and some things left-handed. I'm one of those people too. People often incorrectly call it being ambidextrous, which is the ability to do all things equally with both hands. Ringo writes with his right hand.

He leads his fills with his left hand on a right-handed kit, which makes his fills unique. Our own @Bun Carlos and Clem Burke also do this. There are many threads about this if you search...

He played a 20" bass drum early on but moved up to a 22" in 1964? (someone can verify) and never looked back.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
His solo in "The End" on Abby Road is a good example of how he approached fills from a left-hander's perspective on a right-handed kit. The movement from low to high toms is frequently from right to left.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ringo is left handed (he's 80 and still going strong), or technically "Mixed-Handed" or "Cross-Handed" - The term for doing some things right-handed and some things left-handed. I'm one of those people too. People often incorrectly call it being ambidextrous, which is the ability to do all things equally with both hands. Ringo writes with his right hand.

He leads his fills with his left hand on a right-handed kit, which makes his fills unique. Our own @Bun Carlos and Clem Burke also do this. There are many threads about this if you search...

He played a 20" bass drum early on but moved up to a 22" in 1964? (someone can verify) and never looked back.
According to Gary Astridges Ringo Beatles Kits site , Ringo used the 22/13/16 Super Classic set starting on May 31, 1964 so Johnny D. is correct

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. And so was Paul. Played a right handed kit.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Yes he is! You can hear it clearly in his fills and by watching him closely:
  1. the way he favours movements from right to left;
  2. the slight delay that he has when he goes from fill to backbeat and around (time to adjust his brain I guess)!

Nubs

Reaction score
I tried playing on a few righty kits over the years. Can't do it.

Don't know how you weirdo righties set your stuff up backwards.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
He had 6 drum sets during his time as a Beatle. He had the Premier "root beer swirl" kit when he first joined, which had a 20" bass drum. He eventually had two Ludwig OBP kits with 20" bass drums, two OBP kits with 22" bass drums, and the maple 5-piece kit with a 22" bass drum, so three of each.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What more do we know about this guy. What's his name.. "Ringo"?

was he ever drafted into the military anyone know?
What kind of car did he own.
Has anyone seen him behind the wheel?