Ringo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ringo was a player...yet is spite of that paul was often directing. and it wasnt limited to ringo.
i remember years back hearing the taxman solo, and thinking wow thats one of george's best...until i found out it was paul.

and so despite ringo being a player after listening to this video i wonder just how much more direction paul put on ringo.
as a drummer i would be open to other musicians input, but when you accept that you then also run the risk of them increasing their direction.

i see drummers more then any others often on the recieving end of suggestions, rather then offering them to other band mates .
but maybe thats just me.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was great. I’d never seen it.

I’ve never thought it unusual that John and Paul suggested parts for Ringo to play. They were the song writers and had a vision of how they wanted the song to sound. They might have suggested ideas or parts, but Ringo made all those songs his own.

And the notion that Paul was anywhere near as proficient as Ringo is just plain silly.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
That fact of the matter is there is no video evidence of Ringo playing 95% of the post Revolver material.

This is also where we see the drumming become far more sophisticated and experimental. Diverging in style from the Rockabilly style that put Starkey on the map.

I am curious if there is another drummer out there that has reached the acclaim of Starkey that no one has seen replicate his most iconic parts.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That fact of the matter is there is no video evidence of Ringo playing 95% of the post Revolver material.

This is also where we see the drumming become far more sophisticated and experimental. Diverging in style from the Rockabilly style that put Starkey on the map.

I am curious if there is another drummer out there that has reached the acclaim of Starkey that no one has seen replicate his most iconic parts.
I just read this - Ringo was quite busy drumming on the rest of the Beatles material after Revolver...
"The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn"

Whitten

Reaction score
There are multiple videos from the Abbey Road, Let It be sessions, not least of which is the rooftop concert (1969) where anyone can see Ringo is playing great and in the exact same style as every previous Beatles record. His playing on the rooftop is entirely consistent with his experimental playing on previous albums. Get Back for instance and The Two Of Us.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And there's no video evidence of Charlie Watts recording Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street. Or video of John Bonham recording any LZ records (that I'm aware of). Do we think someone else played on those records? Hmmm... it's got me thinking...

Ringo's playing evolved, as did his sound and his set up. But it still, and always, sounds like Ringo. Why is that hard to understand or accept?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
And there's no video evidence of Charlie Watts recording Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street. Or video of John Bonham recording any LZ records (that I'm aware of). Do we think someone else played on those records? Hmmm... it's got me thinking...

Ringo's playing evolved, as did his sound and his set up. But it still, and always, sounds like Ringo. Why is that hard to understand or accept?
These men all toured these recordings, people have watched them replicate the songs live and on video recordings of the event.

If Charlie Watts went on tour with The Rolling Stones and brought Jim Keltner with him to do the majority of the drumming that would be more congruous.

Whitten

Reaction score
These men all toured these recordings, people have watched them replicate the songs live and on video recordings of the event.

If Charlie Watts went on tour with The Rolling Stones and brought Jim Keltner with him to do the majority of the drumming that would be more congruous.
And Ringo played a bunch of songs on the rooftop at Saville Row 1969.
Plus I've spoken to Paul and he never once mentioned Ringo not being the drummer on Beatles records.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ringo played on the Beatles albums. Period. Andy White played on a single (and b-side), and Paul played on 4 songs on the White Album (Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, and Ballad of John and Yoko). Ringo was everything else, and anyone who states something different hasn't done critical listening on the Beatles. There's TONS of video footage of Ringo in the studio -- and there's an entire new documentary coming out just from previously unreleased footage. This theory, like most conspiracy theories, doesn't hold the slightest bit of water.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was great. I’d never seen it.

I’ve never thought it unusual that John and Paul suggested parts for Ringo to play. They were the song writers and had a vision of how they wanted the song to sound. They might have suggested ideas or parts, but Ringo made all those songs his own.

And the notion that Paul was anywhere nearly as proficient as Ringo is just plain silly.
Paul was on Howard Stern before Christmas and I recall him mentioning that they had a rule that if it was your song you directed everyone how it needed to be played. Once they got famous it got harder and harder for everyone to get motivated to get into the studio and Paul essentially became the defacto leader to kick everyone in the ass to get something done. Along with that came the resentment that started building up over time.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no Beatles expert, but I agreed with everything the guy said in the video.
Remember that cartoon with the complicated drummer and the backbeat drummer? It's been posted here before...
"You're amazing!"
"You're hired."
:)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ringo played on the Beatles albums. Period. Andy White played on a single (and b-side), and Paul played on 4 songs on the White Album (Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, Back in the USSR, and Ballad of John and Yoko). Ringo was everything else, and anyone who states something different hasn't done critical listening on the Beatles. There's TONS of video footage of Ringo in the studio -- and there's an entire new documentary coming out just from previously unreleased footage. This theory, like most conspiracy theories, doesn't hold the slightest bit of water.
You talk such nonsense so authoritatively.

The only thing more tiresome than a person who thinks everything is a conspiracy is one who promotes the idea that none exist.

Speaking of which, what conspiratorial idea, specifically, do you accuse me of?

That there is scant video evidence of Starkey replicating the majority of his parts post Revolver?

If you have evidence to the contrary; post it.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You talk such nonsense so authoritatively.

The only thing more tiresome than a person who thinks everything is a conspiracy is one who promotes the idea that none exist.

Speaking of which, what conspiratorial idea, specifically, do you accuse me of?

That there is scant video evidence of Starkey replicating the majority of his parts post Revolver?

If you have evidence to the contrary; post it.
You know, Nacci... I could be wrong, but I'm beginning to think you're not a Ringo fan... :shock:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know, Nacci... I could be wrong, but I'm beginning to think you're not a Ringo fan... :shock:
That is not true John.

I ask you, and anyone who has issue with what I am saying to stay on point.

Richard Starkey is almost singular in the world of drummers in that there is almost no video evidence of him replicating his parts.

Yes, yes I have seen “Rooftop”. This is a scant handful of songs of their most rudimentary album recorded after Paul let go of the reins.

Yes, I have listened to the Anthologies, but this are almost all alternate takes.

50 year of post Beatles opportunity and not one clip of him even attempting to replicate his solo from “The End”.

He is always on stage, with some other drummer, playing the same old lazy 4/4 and a run around the toms for a fill.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s your proof that he didn’t ? ( lack of any video footage ) And now it’s on people here to prove that he did ? Seriously? What the hell kind of junior high debate team nonsense is this ?

Let me go on record right now as saying I believe the earth is round.

Status
Not open for further replies.