Ringo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh well, I’ll let you fellas have your little Ringo Starr circle jerk back.

It was fun stoping in and watching the degree of logical fallacy and sophistry some of you had to stoop to in an attempt to avoid just posting some videos of Starkey actually playing his most iconic post Revolver drum parts.

Carry on.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well, I’ll let you fellas have your little Ringo Starr circle jerk back.

It was fun stoping in and watching the degree of logical fallacy and sophistry some of you had to stoop to in an attempt to avoid just posting some videos of Starkey actually playing his most iconic post Revolver drum parts.

Carry on.
It was enjoyable seeing you argue with a drummer who actually played for one of The Beatles.

Yes ................actually played for one of The Beatles ..

Whitten

Reaction score
You only keep harping on 'video evidence' because you know it mostly doesn't exist. That's the ONLY reason.
Unfortunately, people who have personally met and worked with many of the people involved in The Beatles cannot sway your personal conviction. But that's ALL your problem. You've convinced yourself of a fallacy. There's no more that can be said.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
"And the notion that Paul was anywhere nearly as proficient as Ringo is just plain silly. "

i did not make that claim because i dont agree with it,... you somehow created that on your own.

i mentioned ringo appeared open and receptive to pauls input .and i had never known that before.
but i did know that paul liked to musically direct or perhaps even control other players.

when i put those two together i then began to wonder how much paul actually led and ringo followed.
but never did i wonder who was the better drummer. now if you want to get into that whole ringo charlie thing , put me down for ringo.
Ok Joe, be Cool man (see what I did there) :)

But seriously, I know you didn’t make that claim and I apologize if I implied you did. I was just adding that to my rant. So no harm, no foul. Cool Joe? (I did it again)

But it makes sense that Paul and John directed Ringo and probably George early on, on the songs they wrote. So I think we’re saying the same thing.

Charlie is my all time favorite, probably because the Stones are my favorite band. I gave up comparing Ringo and Charlie a long time ago when I realized how different they are. I love them both.

Last edited:

Whitten

Reaction score
But it makes sense that Paul and John directed Ringo and probably George early on, on the songs they wrote.
It's a shame we're even discussing this aspect. My whole career I've enjoyed trying to realise someone else's vision, whether it's a song writer, an artist or a producer. I've never been any good at coming up with inventive or innovative drum parts. I think drummer's add more to a performance or a recording than just being 'inventive'. As it happens, Ringo was always extremely inventive.
Like McCartney regarding Ringo, whenever Keith Richards is asked who his favourite drummer is, without blinking he answers Charlie Watts. On one occasion he was asked why and he said "because Charlie's drumming makes ME sound good".

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I've said many times before....when I was young, I thought Ringo and Charlie Watts were over-rated, not very good, boring....

I was stupid.

Back to Ringo....one of the aspects of his playing I've focused on recently is his tempo. More specifically, how incredible his timekeeping was. That, perhaps more than anything, is the most humbling about his playing to me. He swung, and kept near-perfect time.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the advent of click tracks, George Martin would often edit between two or three takes of a song, which sounded seamless.
Unheard of!
That story was what made me go check out his tempo specifically. Close you eyes, try to forget you're listening to Ringo or The Beatles, and try to pretend you're just listening to another drummer....then it hits you. Swing for days, without pushing the tempo. Easy to say; impossible to do.

dyland

Reaction score
One of my favorite Ringo records is Beaucoups of Blues. DJ Fontana, who was on the sessions, said of Ringo, "[He] never varied from that tempo. He had the greatest conception of tempo I've ever heard in my life. I have never heard anybody play that steady in my life, and that's a long time."

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When the Beatles split up, Ringo did sessions for all three of his fellow Beatles, Jackie Lomax, Doris Troy, Billy Preston, T. Rex, Peter Frampton, John Schroeder, Howlin' Wolf, Bobby Keys, Maggie Bell, Jimmy Webb, Carly Simon, The Manhattan Transfer, Lon & Derek Van Eaton Leon Russell, Joe Walsh, Harry Nilsson, Steven Stills, Attitudes, Lonnie Donegan, Ian McLagan, Bob Dylan, Buck Owens, Ron Wood, Van Dyke Parks, The Beach Boys, Liam Lynch, and more. Not too shabby for a guy who wasn't good enough to cut the sessions with his own band...

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
You only keep harping on 'video evidence' because you know it mostly doesn't exist.
Wait a minute, I thought that was a Conspiracy Theory, now you’re saying it’s true?

Conspiracy Theory; the parlor trick of the intellectually defunct when the can’t argue a position on its merits.

I do get you though, it is hard to resist when it is so effective but consider your audience?

Well, forget about video of him replicating his parts, that was a ridiculous request. Why would there be video of the worlds most iconic drummer playing his most seminal parts.

How about some video of Starkey on stage, post Beatles leading a band on his own, not his quick beat 2/4 stuff that we know he can play but, you know, some innovative, truly Ringo stamped drumming, him, a band, no other drummer, no Keltner, no Laboriel, no Jim Capaldi, no Levon Helm, no Bissonette, Just Starkey and a band.

This homework assignment is for you too Hounddog, since you’ve been running your mouth so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.