Ringo's Paiste Giant Beat

WernerAW

Reaction score
I have searched for over than eleven years.
Now I have found some good pics for the
evidence that Ringo has played a Paiste
Giant Beat 20". I compared it with mine
ringo4.jpg
ringo7.jpg
Unbenannt1.png
Unbenannt (2).png
Unbenannt.png
DSCI0889.JPG
DSCF0245.JPG

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah Werner, I would be blown away if his was a GB... I always thought it was the 602 that he also through up during the Let it Be sessions/ Rooftop show. The lathing and hammering looks the same as a 20'' 602 to me.
Thanks for posting the photos!

WernerAW

Reaction score
I know what you mean.
In the movie "magical mistery tour"
he played a cymbal, that looks like a 602.
A very "hard" lathing not as fine as the lathing from the Giant Beat.
But on the first pic i think you can the a stamp. the 602 stamps are with the lathing rings.
Sorry i cant explain it right.... my English is not good.
Here the photo.

ringo 20 inch.jpg

polara01

Reaction score
Awesome discovery! It's funny how Ringo and also Bonham's giant beats seem to always have washed out logos even though they were almost new at the time. I wonder if they removed them on purpose?

miker

Reaction score

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
or this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Ludwig-Paiste-Cymball-Medium-/271084696166?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item3f1de83266

WernerAW

Reaction score
or a Paiste Super...

But i'm more interested in his 18".
And i think it's a 18" 5 star super zyn or a other Cheap cymbal

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His 18'' during the let it be sessions is the same one used from Help! on Mid 50's Zildjian

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
It looks to me to be a 602 to in every picture (Beatles footage pics). I agree that the stamp in that photo/still looks to be perpendicular to the lathing (like a GB) but even in that pic the cymbal looks a 602. I'm certainly not saying Ringo didn't own/play any GBs, but in those pics (of Beatles/Ringo) you posted it looks to be a 602 (lathing, color, shape, etc). In the pic showing Ringo in the costume, the lathing looks especially 602-y.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is very little concrete info available about Ringo's Beatle era cymbals. Lots of supposition but little actual first hand knowledge. It is generally assumed that Ringo used Zildjians once he had the dough to get them but I'm not so sure and this line of posts seems to confirm that we don't really know.

I'm about 99% certain that the 18" with rivets that he used at least up through the filming of AHDN was a Zyn. It has an odd bell profile that matches that of a Zyn and Premier sold an 18" "sizzle" model Zyn in their catalog. Of course that is also just supposition on my part, based on the study of various photos...it may not be a Zyn...but it certainly isn't shaped like any Zildjian I've ever seen either.

Jim Keltner has a pair of hi-hat cymbals that were given to him by George Harrison (IIRC) that were supposed to be a set that Ringo used in the Beatles. They are Arbiters which was a Drum City house brand apparently made for Ivor Arbiter's store by Paiste.

It would seem that we don't know more than we do know about Ringo's cymbals of choice. Maybe someday whatever Beatle era cymbals Ringo still has stashed away will see the light of day and we may be able to figure it out based on that. At some point he probably was all Zildjian but it seems that, especially in the early years, his cymbals were European in origin and not necessarily from the high end of those lines. I certainly wouldn't rule out that he was still using a Paiste or two late in the game.

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This ebay ad for a cracked 602- especially the first picture- resembles what Ringo's 20'' hammering/lathing looked like. This is not my ebay ad, just thought the picture looks like his. But Check it out!!

My link

MPL

Reaction score
This is for GiantBeat about Ringo's cymbals. I think his 18" A Zildjian from Help! on is one great sounding cymbal. The 18" he used on the earlier albums was more thinner sounding to me but also great sounding. Was that an A Zildjian also?

jazzmetal

Reaction score
There is very little concrete info available about Ringo's Beatle era cymbals. Lots of supposition but little actual first hand knowledge. It is generally assumed that Ringo used Zildjians once he had the dough to get them but I'm not so sure and this line of posts seems to confirm that we don't really know. .....

Why doesn't somebody ask Ringo, he's still alive, definitely has '..actual first hand knowledge..' - probably has a website, there are posters here that would have an inside track to Ringo and I'm sure he would be more than happy to let us know ..we're all drummers and he laid out the groove and hard driving swing for a lot of players here

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is very little concrete info available about Ringo's Beatle era cymbals. Lots of supposition but little actual first hand knowledge. It is generally assumed that Ringo used Zildjians once he had the dough to get them but I'm not so sure and this line of posts seems to confirm that we don't really know. .....

Why doesn't somebody ask Ringo, he's still alive, definitely has '..actual first hand knowledge..' - probably has a website, there are posters here that would have an inside track to Ringo and I'm sure he would be more than happy to let us know ..we're all drummers and he laid out the groove and hard driving swing for a lot of players here
I've never been lucky enough to speak with Ringo but it appears, based on the various interviewers that have ventured to ask, that he is not much of a "gearhead" so his answers tend to be a bit vague. When asked about cymbals in an early MD interview he just said he liked "an old Avedis". Once the Beatles really got rolling Mal Evans handled most of the day to day gear issues and aquisitions and he likely knew more than Ringo about the touring sets. Unfortunately Mal is long dead. I guess there is always the chance that Ringo has more info that he hasn't shared previously, and it's logical to assume that he should know all the answers, but they have yet to surface. Maybe the upcoming display of some (all?) of his Beatles gear in L.A. next year will shed some new light on all this.

dimag333

DFO Master
Reaction score
watch dewey cox, i bet that is a REAL representation of what was happening back then!!! haha

jazzmetal

Reaction score
I've never been lucky enough to speak with Ringo but it appears, based on the various interviewers that have ventured to ask, that he is not much of a "gearhead" so his answers tend to be a bit vague. When asked about cymbals in an early MD interview he just said he liked "an old Avedis". Once the Beatles really got rolling Mal Evans handled most of the day to day gear issues and aquisitions and he likely knew more than Ringo about the touring sets. Unfortunately Mal is long dead. I guess there is always the chance that Ringo has more info that he hasn't shared previously, and it's logical to assume that he should know all the answers, but they have yet to surface. Maybe the upcoming display of some (all?) of his Beatles gear in L.A. next year will shed some new light on all this.

As Zildjian is now supplying him it's possibly diplomatic "..to be a bit vague.." if in his Beatles work he used another manufacturer