Ringo's Paiste Giant Beat

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Ringo would know what cymbals he played..Bernard Purdie and Hal Blaine played on most Beetle recordings

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seems to me that we could just ask him....He IS still alive afterall!

Then again - (and this is interesting and may say alot more about us than him) perhaps he does not remember or even care.
Imagine this - that he had several sorts of cymbals and sometimes he used ______ and sometimes it was his ________s.
Do you know any drummers that switch them out and play more than one make? Imagine that!?!?

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is amazing that for all the meticulously detailed books there are about Beatles recordings and performances that we still don't know for sure what cymbals Ringo was using and when. However, I tend to agree that he probably wasn't too concerned about the exact specs of his gear, as other Beatles have commented that they usually played what was given to them rather than specifically seeking out certain models. Especially in the early days, he probably just played whatever he could afford in the pawn shop that day.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
I did a lot of reading up on this topic of Ringo's cymbals and as someone mentioned earlier he was/is not much of a gearhead and Redbeard77s assessment seems to be pretty close to the truth of things.

The 20" riveted cymbal was definitely a Zyn - there are some clear pictures of it out there where you can see the logo.

The 20" Paiste was almost assuredly an Arbiter Branded Formula 602. I think there are pics of him with it that predate the release of the Giant Beat line (1967 - most likely later in the year) which would seem to rule out it being a GB. And pictures of the cymbal look like 602. I read that he got this cymbal in 1965 ( I think - read a bunch of different articles hard to keep all the details straight) when the Beatles were given a new cache of gear.

It was also said the 18" cymbal with rivets could be a Paiste Arbiter 602 but that remains very uncertain.

I also read he at one time had 14" Paiste Arbiter 602 hats but he gave them to George Harrison because he liked the Zildjians Hats better. These hats and the supposed 18" Arbiter came from an earlier time than he received the 20" Paiste cymbal.

And from pictures of him right when he joined the Beatles it looks like he might of had some Paiste Stambuls in his arsenal The big bells look like that of the NS12 Stambuls and he might of used one or two of them. Could be something else but Paiste Stambuls would have been a solid, cheap option at the time.

Interesting topic.

Last edited: