Ringo's "Rooftop" kit

DD

Reaction score
Also, today's "lacquer" finishes are really polyester (plastic) finishes. They do not yellow as much with age as nitro lacquer does. Gretsch still uses nitro on their drums.
And formulation of today’s nitro finishes are different than those of yesteryear I’ve always heard so I imagine that would have impact on the yellowing also.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
In January 2014 I made the pilgrimage to LA to see two of Ringo's sets on display at the Grammy Museum. It was pretty awesome to see the "Ed Sullivan" and "Rooftop" sets up close and personal.

The maple set is in somewhat rough shape. The finish is dark and somewhat dull. I talked to Gary Astridge about that (he had prepared the drums for the exhibit) and he thought it was due to a combination of being poorly stored and also being cleaned at some point with something that was too harsh for the finish. He cleaned them up as best he could for the exhibit.

No photography of any kind
allowed within the exhibit...but yet...

Last edited:

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In January 2014 I made the pilgrimage to LA to see two of Ringo's sets on display at the Grammy Museum. It was pretty awesome to see the "Ed Sullivan" and "Rooftop" sets up close and personal.

The maple set is in somewhat rough shape. The finish is dark and somewhat dull. I talked to Gary Astridge about that (he had prepared the drums for the exhibit) and he thought it was due to a combination of being poorly stored and also being cleaned at some point with something that was too harsh for the finish. He cleaned them up as best he could for the exhibit.

Thanks for being a rule breaker!

Reactions: DD

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I also went there in 2014 to see that. Really cool to see those kits in person. And. I took pics anyway when no one was around. Actually the wife took a pic of me next to each kit.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for being a rule breaker!
I was aware of the policy before I went so I took the smallest camera we own on the trip. I could kind of hide it in my hand. I still got confronted by one of the staff. "No photography sir!" "Oh geez, I didn't know...sorry". Then as soon as he left I took a bunch more. I wasn't going to let this once in a lifetime opportunity go undocumented.

If I had gone out a week later I would have been there at the same time as Gary A. and I might have had the chance to actually handle some of Ringo's other Beatle drums as Gary did that week. Alas, our schedules only overlapped by one day. We did meet up (at the NAMM show) but I wasn't around to "help" Gary inspect the other drums...much to my chagrin.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score

I made that pilgrimage as well.I was surprised to see calf heads on the Rooftop kit...very cool to see the tea towel draped over the Jazz Fest snare imo.

and speaking of photography,I got popped after sneaking a cell phone pic of the Rooftop kit...out of nowhere some guy suddenly appeared instructing No Photography!
my wife & I were the only ones at the exhibit at the time...I reckon they were watching us/ME on CCTV...I got a pic of the Black Oysters & Ringo's Pepper outfit before the warning...ha!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would that Jacket be considered and the banker never wore a Mac? in the pouring rain very strange? Lipstick Red

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The rooftop kit is an interesting setup for sure. I'd guess that from the driver's seat the mounted toms must feel like they're a mile away. I've not seen that post mounting hardware before. Was that Ludwig or some other brand?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The rooftop kit is an interesting setup for sure. I'd guess that from the driver's seat the mounted toms must feel like they're a mile away. I've not seen that post mounting hardware before. Was that Ludwig or some other brand?
That's a very early Ludwig double tom stand. Ringo is not a tall guy and needs to sit in close to reach the bass pedal (especially since he tended to have his throne set very high). This necessitated that his snare drum be set far forward and, in turn, his mounted toms as well. He did this on his oyster black sets too but it wasn't as easy to do with the center post mount on the hollywood set so the toms were moved to the floor stand to get them forward.

If you look at side view pictures of Ringo on any of his sets from the Beatles you can see how his snare drum overlaps the bass drum by a good bit.

Ringo did use the regular center post double tom mount on the Hollywoods on some occasions, such as the Concert for Bangladesh. Not sure what aspect of his setup he may have changed to accomplish that.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to talk one of my local dealers into getting in a 22/12/13/16 Classic Maple in Golden Slumbers shell pack with an vintage Oyster Black Jazzfest . I bet it would sell fast to a Ringo fan .

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have been trying to talk one of my local dealers into getting in a 22/12/13/16 Classic Maple in Golden Slumbers shell pack with an vintage Oyster Black Jazzfest . I bet it would sell fast to a Ringo fan .
I wonder if it's still possible to spec it all out like Ringo's. Fold out spurs, classic tom brackets, etc.? If not I'd order everything "virgin" then put on the proper parts. It's the details that would make the set most desirable to a "Ringo" guy.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That's a very early Ludwig double tom stand. Ringo is not a tall guy and needs to sit in close to reach the bass pedal (especially since he tended to have his throne set very high). This necessitated that his snare drum be set far forward and, in turn, his mounted toms as well. He did this on his oyster black sets too but it wasn't as easy to do with the center post mount on the hollywood set so the toms were moved to the floor stand to get them forward.

If you look at side view pictures of Ringo on any of his sets from the Beatles you can see how his snare drum overlaps the bass drum by a good bit.

Ringo did use the regular center post double tom mount on the Hollywoods on some occasions, such as the Concert for Bangladesh. Not sure what aspect of his setup he may have changed to accomplish that.

I have always found it interesting how Ringo sat at his drums. I am probably the same height as him and I also like to sit high. I use a canister throne for just about every gig and I am honestly surprised that Ringo didn't have one with one of his OBP sets. They are about the exact height he sat at and much more stable than the three legged oval throne he used. For me though, I don't push my snare forward like Ringo does but I do sit in close to the drums as I have fairly short legs.

It could have been the camera angle but I say a pic of Mick Fleetwood's set once from behind the throne and it looked like his snare was a mile away from his throne! He is a wicked tall guy though that stands over 7 feet I believe? I would never be able to reach his pedals! Lol

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
thermo-gloss blonde Ludwig's in 71 were every Kid's (teen) dream : )Still is.
Interesting the man never left -those years- the wood snare drum (is he a jazzer??(!

When did Ringo finally adopt the Supra and it derivatives (BB etc..
where's the first sighting (history) of him with one...
@K.O. and or anyone who may know?

Last edited: