RIP Alan White

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mean, that is legend level. Three days.

On 19 July 1972, after Yes had finished recording Close to the Edge, Bruford left to join King Crimson.[7] With their supporting tour less than a week away, the band were desperate for a replacement. White then got a call from Tony Dimitriades, who handled Offord's affairs and later became Yes's manager, informing White that the band wanted him to join.[16] Anderson and Squire then met White at Offord's flat, and he joined. He spent the following three days learning the band's repertoire before the Close to the Edge Tour began in Dallas, Texas on 30 July 1972.[17] In the same week, White was offered to join Jethro Tull and America.[18] White's performance was documented on their first live album Yessongs, in 1973;[19] this was followed by his first studio album with them later that year, Tales from Topographic Oceans.[20]

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
A wonderful human being and great player. His drumming on Instant Karma blew me away as a kid.

One of my drumming highlights was he and I double drumming together on the Yes tune Cinema.

RIP Alan

1653661329906.jpeg

mattr

Reaction score
Enjoying my favorite Yes album this morning “Drama”… haven’t heard it in awhile. Its definitely not a “Yes” album, too aggressive, dark and precise, still killer though. Anyways, Alan, Squire, Howe and Downes are on fire. But Alan on “Does it Really Happen” and “Tempis Fugit”…fuhgetaboutit. Great work.

“Silent Wings of Freedom” Another of my favorite of Alan’s playing, even though the 2nd half of song doesn’t come together… the first several minutes are glorious! Love this rough video version below:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
An underrated musician, indeed.
On the album, 90125, there is a song called CHANGES.
Alan White wrote the keyboard intro to that song....fun with syncopation !
...and this is my favorite Alan White song. He does a beat at the end that I call "The Alan White Beat". I've stolen it many times. He really shone brightly on that album.
RIP, Sir Alan.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
An all-time favorite. 9012Live was a first big concert for me my freshman year of High School. I had the Ludwig "White Lightning" poster on my bedroom wall. 90125 was my first intro to Yes and I went down the rabbit hole pretty quickly on the back catalog.

I saw him at NAMM 2005 and he looked fit and healthy - but the health issues really took their toll over the last 17 years. I was a little startled about how he looked when I saw the tv interview about his stolen drums.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will appear from my self imposed hiatus, for the love of Alan...

When you admire, revere and yes, even idolize a person, the likes of which the world will never see again... Drum sets like this happen.
131361096_3560286187403227_2588021215730608602_n.jpg

Godspeed, Mr. White, I know a certain lanky bass player was waiting at the pearly gate for you...

Screenshot_20220526-142316.png

And yes, there is a special place in hell for the like that steal from good people. Instant Karma gonna get you...

Last edited:

mattr

Reaction score
I remember playing along to “Going for the One” from Yesshows, and it’s played soooo much faster than the album cut. The stamina Alan had!

Same with “Gates of Delirium”, when it gets to the “war” part, lots to remember and keep up with even when I was a teen. That ride pattern and syncopation!

“The pen won’t stay, the demons wings, the hour approaches pounding out the Devils sermon” hmmm… as If that don’t sound like what’s happening to us in some of this recent news :) And this one on Yesshow is played even crazy faster (maybe the sped the tape up?)

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His power and creativity were super high on the Tormato tour. That album is so under-rated from a drumming perspective.

He was driving the bejesus out of that band. I also thought he got a great sound out of his drums live and recorded, a trademark with dynamic highs and lows and a cracking snare. A memory came to mind of him saying he had his Simmons flat because he preferred hitting the edges for some reason.

Love the interplay between Alan and Chris.

Commodore

Reaction score
I didn't realize he played on that song!!!
No wonder the drum part is so cool, I've been listening to that since the mid 70's!
Alan White's drumming is what made the Plastic Ono ...a BAND!

Miss him!

Last edited:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I had the privilege of seeing him with Yes at Centennial Hall in Toledo for their 90215 tour. The album was really just taking off into the multiple hit monstrosity that it became, and the band was obviously a pretty joyous ensemble at that point. I had always enjoyed Alan’s playing, he was a true chameleon able to fit seamlessly in any situation. But, that night I was blown away by the sheer power and conviction of his playing. He drove that band hard when it was called for, reined it in when necessary, and used dynamics impeccably. His drum sound amazing, you could really hear the nuances of what he was doing (it helped that it was at Centennial Hall, one of the better places for acoustics that I’ve been to). One of the best concerts that I went to, and good enough that my recollections of it isn’t as hazy as most of the shows that I attended. R. I.P., Alan.

Supernoodle

Reaction score
His power and creativity were super high on the Tormato tour. That album is so under-rated from a drumming perspective.

He was driving the bejesus out of that band. I also thought he got a great sound out of his drums live and recorded, a trademark with dynamic highs and lows and a cracking snare. A memory came to mind of him saying he had his Simmons flat because he preferred hitting the edges for some reason.

Love the interplay between Alan and Chris.

What a concert! That's the peak of Yes for me... Saw them later on the 90125 tour which was fab too, Alan clearly enjoying himself.

They were so different - look at the round stage setup, and Anderson's mic coming straight from the Heavens :)

And the drumming, so powerful and unique.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP Mr. White. Your drumming was a big inspiration and always recognizable. Thank you for the memories.