header.nohb.html

RIP Christine McVie

BruceOrl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember being at the Jacksonville Coliseum at a Fleetwood Mac concert in the mid 1970's. This before Stevie Nicks and LB joined so they weren't yet the mega stars they would become (well some of them, anyway).

During their set someone threw down a lit cigarettte butt from seats overlooking the stage, and almost hit one Christine McVie.

The butt landed on Mick Fleetwood's floor tom and burned through head causing quite a commotion on stage. While roadies changed the head and extingushed the fire, cops swept the back of the stage area for suspects.

McVie gave us all a real come to Jesus moment about how drumheads didn't just grow on trees and cost real money. It was truly epic.

I came away from the concert with a lot of respect for her. To dress down the mangey crowd of drunken stoned rednecks that we were took some real English tea leaves. Its a wonder she didn't start a riot.

Can't say as much about Mick Fleetwood. Watching him dance around with his one man drum-a-dum thing got really tedious fast. But then, I was just a stoned drunken redneck kid who didn't know any better. It was a multi-act bill and knowing me, I was probably there for Jo Jo Gunn. Maybe Black Oak Arkansas.

As for Ms McVie, I hope she's playing the big gig in the sky dodging roses
and not cigarette butts. May she find the rest and peace she desires. She was a class act all the way, and I'm glad I never crossed her. :)

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize she was that old. What a bummer. I remember meeting Mick Fleetwood in the early 90s. I was talking to him about why they don't get back together. The Eagles had just reunited and I said I'm sure fans would go crazy. I think they got together the next year. Obviously drama with Stevie and Lindsey and who knows what else. I saw them in the late 90s. Just fantastic. All original members. What an amazing show. Her voice was incredible and so much talent...RIP.

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sad news indeed. I love their Bare Trees LP. May her soul fly free.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of great music and memories from this group. RIP Christine...

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard about this in the middle of a gig tonight. So sorry to hear that she has passed. In my opinion, clearly the most talented of the group. Farewell "Songbird."

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score