RIP Hal Blaine

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sad day for sure.

Pretty sure Hal was actually the most recorded drummer of all time.

Think of some of the beats and/or fills that you play routinely. Many/most were derived from this Giant's body of work.

Where do you even start?

RIP Pocket Daddy!

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Huge loss! I read his book. He was a comedian also. One of a kind. Even before I knew about the Wrecking Crew, I knew there was someone like him playing on many records. Ace

Reactions: JDA

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speady1 - thanks for posting that video! I was telling my wife about Hal, but that video really told the story.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
was lucky enough to meet the man, hang with the man, and even be a guest in his home.

the music will always be right there to listen to, and all that met him will keep the stories alive - and it is all about the stories.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
The video brought it home. What an amazing career. I’d buy a box set of the stuff he played on. A huge range of styles. And perfect in all of them!!!!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gone but never to be forgotten. Rest in peace and thank you for everything you meant to us.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I always thought his commentary was good, too. The man was the epitome of show business, and most people didn't know who he was until fairly recently. I wonder if there's a complete discography of his work available?
Back when I was a kid playing drums, a friend of my drum teacher's (also a drummer) once told me: "Play like Hal, and you'll play in a band."

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RIP Thanks for the music. I just read his book at Xmas. He led a great full life.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first time I met him he had his cymbals with him.. we (all the drummers who came up after the set) were all flipping out over them. Someone asked if they were the cymbals on 'Be my Baby' and Hal said "These are the cymbals on EVERYTHING!"

Latest posts