RIP Hal Blaine

jakeo

Reaction score
I'm sitting here with his discography of his biggest hits and Spotify - talk about the soundtrack of my life!!! Some of my earliest memories of getting into music and drums pre Beatles was Herb Alpert - the Lonley Bull and of course A Taste of Honey.

Check out Indian Reservation - and crank it - I hear some double bass at the end. Those tom fills...
Thanks for the inspiration Hal.

trommel

Reaction score
Thanks for all you did Mr. Blaine. R.I.P.

piccupstix

Reaction score
You guys have said it all. Just add me to the list.

RIP, Hal...and thank you, thank you, thank you.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of the funniest tales I ever read was in his book Him relaying the story---of going over to Korea--on the ship.... Funny as I've ever read

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
To correct the record, he played on more than 35,000 songs, including all of these Billboard Number 1 songs:

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vistalite's list proves that millions and millions of people have heard Hal Blaine play and most don't know it.
RIP on your unbelievable contributions.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
He is now reunited with the other legend, Earl Palmer. Blaine's contributions are beyond measure - hell, even his mistakes turned out to be iconic grooves. This clip about the making of Be My Baby provides a glimpse into the creative process bubble in which Blaine lived. He dropped his stick and fumbled the beat while recovering it. He said later that if you can play two bars of a mistake it becomes part of the song :)

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
A huge part of all of our musical DNA, I suspect. RIP.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I doubt there's one person on this planet , knowingly or not,who hasn't heard his drumming .

Many are picked, few are chosen . RIP Mr Blaine .

bkny110

Reaction score
He is now reunited with the other legend, Earl Palmer. Blaine's contributions are beyond measure - hell, even his mistakes turned out to be iconic grooves. This clip about the making of Be My Baby provides a glimpse into the creative process bubble in which Blaine lived. He dropped his stick and fumbled the beat while recovering it. He said later that if you can play two bars of a mistake it becomes part of the song :)
Mike, thanks for posting this clip. Enjoyed watching and listening to it! Arguably the greatest!

Latest posts