RIP Hal Blaine

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sad day for sure.

Pretty sure Hal was actually the most recorded drummer of all time.

Think of some of the beats and/or fills that you play routinely. Many/most were derived from this Giant's body of work.

Where do you even start?

RIP Pocket Daddy!
It would be interesting to see just who is the most recorded drummer. John Robinson claims that title, but I don't know how many recordings he did and Stan Levey was on well over 2000, which seems like a pretty high threshold. Does anyone know how many tunes Hal recorded? Regardless, we lost one of the greats. He and Earl Palmer were the heart beat of the 60s and 70s.

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I first met Hal over twenty five years ago at NAMM. I turned the corner and was amazed to see Hal's famous "Monster Drum Kit" that was used on countless iconic songs in the 60's and 70's! I stared at that kit for quite a while and then turned to leave and was even more astounded to see Hal himself walking up!!! I thanked him for all of the joy his drumming gave to me and we then talked for over twenty minutes. He was so gracious and treated me like we had known each other forever.

Over the years, I had the pleasure of seeing and talking to Hal several more times - most recently again at NAMM.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see just who is the most recorded drummer. John Robinson claims that title, but I don't know how many recordings he did and Stan Levey was on well over 2000, which seems like a pretty high threshold. Does anyone know how many tunes Hal recorded? Regardless, we lost one of the greats. He and Earl Palmer were the heart beat of the 60s and 70s.
It's been reported that he played on over 35,000 recordings including record albums, television and movie

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
When I was in the 7th grade, I used to emulate the drum parts on all of my 45 RPM records. I had no idea that 9 times out of 10, the drummer was Hal Blaine. I found out later who he was.

A lot of the jazz guys in L.A. disdained Hal for playing all that rock stuff. But Hal was a good reader, and he could play any style. Shelly Manne liked his playing and complimented him for his drum part on Tijuana Brass' "A Taste of Honey."

His snare drum always sounded so good on those records. He knew how to tune it for the optimum recording sound.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's been reported that he played on over 35,000 recordings including record albums, television and movie
With all due respect to JR, Hal's body of work surpasses everyone, regardless of any claim of being the most recorded drummer. There will never be anyone anywhere near as prolific as Hal. He owns that title and deserves it.

Christopher

Reaction score
Wow, now that is a lot of recordings!
That really is.

So, from most reports Hal's main years were from the 50s to the 80s. That was the period he recorded most.

30 years, give or take.

So 35,000 songs over 30 years comes to about 1,167 songs per year.

If he worked every one of those days throughout the 30 years, that would come to 3.2 songs per day. No days off.

Obviously, he didn't work 365 days a year, so with the average number of work days in a year being 260 or so, he recorded about 4.5 songs every day he worked! Wow!

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Words to live by. Speaking of the intro to a Ronette’s tune.

"As I recall, we rehearsed it with a regular backbeat on 2 and 4. But then when we did the first take, I dropped my stick and missed the 2," he said once, in a quote attributed to him by the Percussive Arts Society, which inducted him into its Hall of Fame in 2012. "So being the faker than I am, I just played the 4, and one of the things you learn is that when you make a mistake, if you do it every four bars it becomes part of the song."

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
The first time I met him he had his cymbals with him.. we (all the drummers who came up after the set) were all flipping out over them. Someone asked if they were the cymbals on 'Be my Baby' and Hal said "These are the cymbals on EVERYTHING!"
Makes you think
Get a set of zildjian a’s
And play

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
A drum lesson album circa 1968 from the man himself.
I went looking for that album on CD yesterday, after I heard some snippets on YT. There was a limited CD run in Japan, but that sold out long ago. There are vinyl copies available, but I haven't had a turntable in many years. It's a pretty cool recording, with plenty of commentary by Hal.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went looking for that album on CD yesterday, after I heard some snippets on YT. There was a limited CD run in Japan, but that sold out long ago. There are vinyl copies available, but I haven't had a turntable in many years. It's a pretty cool recording, with plenty of commentary by Hal.
I did a search for background info on the album and apparently it was recorded in Canada, which is ironic since Hal was a member of the LA Wrecking Crew. The link to the video I posted above is the entire album.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rest in peace to one of the best to ever pick up the sticks!
His career and influence is something that monumental and his playing on over 35,000 tracks is a feat we may never see again! Job well done Hal!

Latest posts