RIP Hal Blaine

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did a search for background info on the album and apparently it was recorded in Canada, which is ironic since Hal was a member of the LA Wrecking Crew. The link to the video I posted above is the entire album.
Unfortunately, that video is no longer available. I'll continue looking around for a digital version.

KevinD

Reaction score
Not only was Hal a great drummer, his contribution to the craft and to the Entertainment industry is well known. But he was an incredibly entertaining person as well (as evidenced by the Dom F interview). He had a million Hollywood stories, and was literally at the center of some of the most groundbreaking musical events of the 20th Century...(MAYBE a handful of people in the world can say they were even somewhat involved with Steely Dan, Sinatra and Elvis at any level!!!) In addition to that, he rubbed elbows with most of the of the other greats of the era. (strangely, I saw him on a late night infomercial about 20 years ago hawking a product that would clear one's ears on airliners).
In any case, while many will mourn, I think Hal's lived a life that calls for celebration as well.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that video is no longer available. I'll continue looking around for a digital version.
It's still available, but must be played on Youtube because the person posted it disabled playing on sites other than Youtube. When you click on it here and get the error message, it provides a link to go to Youtube and watch it.

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some great things being said in his tribute here.

I didn't notice a mention of his "Drums A Go Go" album; it includes some tasty solos.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love some of these vids - question - where did The Great One mount his tambourine? I can't find pics of the kit with a tambourine......? Thanks.

ken3737

Reaction score
I attended one of Hal’s stops on his first book tour — in Sacramento in the mid-90’s. Hal strode onto the stage in a small auditorium in front of a couple hundred drummers. Much applause, Hal took the mic & said:
“I used to look like a Greek God!”
(pause for dramatic affect) “Now I just look like a goddam Greek!!”
Lots of laughter. He didn’t play drums that day, but kept us entertained with great stories. RIP...

Ptrick

Reaction score
Saw a clinic 20 years ago with Hal. Had the monster setup with all the Toms. Told stories for an hour, sits down on the kit, plays “boom bap, boom boom bap” and then plays a drum fill using all the toms. Says “that’s all the playing I’ve got in me today, any questions?” Then went on to talk and answer questions for another 45 minutes. Probably one of the best clinics I’ve ever been to!

Christopher

Reaction score
Love some of these vids - question - where did The Great One mount his tambourine? I can't find pics of the kit with a tambourine......? Thanks.
Curious about the tambourine as well... I suspect he didn’t play it, or if he did it was on a separate track.

Great sound none the less. And played perfectly in the pocket of the song. Tambourine looms large in so many great songs of that era. Beatles, Monkeys, Beach Boys.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. We are doing Can't Help Falling in Love in April so I'm learning it and sad to hear it was a Hal tune......sounds just like brushes on the snare but I will incorporate a tambourine in his honor.....

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been binge watching Hal Blaine clips on YouTube since he passed. Although I fancy myself to be a jazz and blues drummer, I am also a pop drummer in one group that covers a lot of songs on which Blaine played. I recently stumbled upon an interesting, three-part set of interview videos that are worth sharing. First, though, I want to share a pull quote from one of them:
"There are no losers - just winners who give up too soon."​
Here are the clips:
I hope that you enjoy them as much as I.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's probably been mentioned somewhere in these 5 pages, but if you haven't seen the "The Wrecking Crew" documentary, Hal is prominently featured in it. It's available on Netflix, but it's worth buying the DVD. And, you'll be supporting my pal Denny Tedesco, son of legendary Wrecking Crew guitarist, Tommy Tedesco.

This was taken last month (Feb 5, 2019) at Hal's 90th birthday party at the Baked Potato, just a few short weeks before he passed away. Hal was my dear friend of 30 years... words can't describe how much he meant to me.

sZosOitqSBO3QBx8JBtJqA.jpg

Charlie Watts was recording in LA with the Stones and came to the party, as did Jim Keltner and a bunch of LA drummer friends... Hal was loved by all!

fullsizeoutput_4dae.jpeg

IMG_2371.JPG

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, this totally ruined my day. RIP, Hal. I'll sure miss you.

A short list:

Nice video, but Hal didn't play on "The Monkees Theme." That was Billy Lewis, who drummed on most of the first two Monkees LPs. Hal only played on the Nesmith productions.

Latest posts