RIP Ludwig Atlas… Again

actionjcl

Reaction score
It’s sad to hear that Ludwig is doing away with the Atlas lines again. I wonder what will become of their hardware game. Talk is the are improving upon and rebranding things under just the Ludwig name. Hopefully they will keep around the Pillar Clutch snare stand and do something more interesting with their Standard line. I do like the upgrades to the Supralite snares, the COB tube lugs are a shocking surprised for such an affordable snare. I’m not surprised that they chose to use the P35 butt and the new P88i throw off, I bet it’s more cost effective in the long run to just use the same across all lines, especially with the parts shortage going on now due to lack of workers still. Anyways, anyone have any tidbits on what Ludwig has in store for their hardware for 2022? Are they going to keep the blue and olive heirloom bags in the lineup (they are my go to bags, although I prefer a hard shell snare case with padded insides)?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I see they have a new throne called Pro series though doesn't look like anything special. Possible they will have a pro line. They seem to just run through these names don't they.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Always interesting to see what Ludwig is up to. I have seen alot of powder coated brass snare drums arriving that are all limited. Haven't seen much in hardware, though I haven't been in the market for anything. What is the difference in the P88i versus the diecast P88ac? I looked at it on the Supralite and I cannot see a difference. I put the 88ac on my Bronze Hammered Supra in 2019 and it's great. P88i says it's "improved", I trying to ascertain what they did here.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see they have a new throne called Pro series though doesn't look like anything special. Possible they will have a pro line. They seem to just run through these names don't they.
Atlas, Hercules....at some point they run out of Greek Deities.....I'd love good old "Ludwig 1A" or somethng easy to remember. or "Ludwig Retro Plus" (same design better execution)

actionjcl

Reaction score
Does this mean the end of the Atlas tom lug/mount?
Hmm, good question… I could see how one would think that as a possibility, but they’ve invested so much around that mount that they’d be foolish to just axe it. Oh and remember, it’s called the A.T.L.A.S. (Aerial Tom Lug Attached Suspension) mount. If anything, they’d probably just update and improve upon the mount, in one way, shape, or form and just call it something else.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Always interesting to see what Ludwig is up to. I have seen alot of powder coated brass snare drums arriving that are all limited. Haven't seen much in hardware, though I haven't been in the market for anything. What is the difference in the P88i versus the diecast P88ac? I looked at it on the Supralite and I cannot see a difference. I put the 88ac on my Bronze Hammered Supra in 2019 and it's great. P88i says it's "improved", I trying to ascertain what they did here.
The only difference I can tell about the P88i, is instead of an engraved script logo on the front, it’s a engraved keystone reminiscent of the P85AC that Josh Allen designed. I hope they’re not considering that as making it new and improved. As far as the naming goes, AC stood for Atlas Cast and since they are doing away with the Atlas line, it’s only fitting. I wonder if the i means integrated as the throw off is a one piece compared to the P85 which was 2 pieces.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmm, good question… I could see how one would think that as a possibility, but they’ve invested so much around that mount that they’d be foolish to just axe it. Oh and remember, it’s called the A.T.L.A.S. (Aerial Tom Lug Attached Suspension) mount. If anything, they’d probably just update and improve upon the mount, in one way, shape, or form and just call it something else.
IMO, it was a bad idea from the beginning (on multiple levels), and Ludwig should admit (to itself), that it made a mistake and abandon it immediately. Stop throwing good money after bad.

actionjcl

Reaction score
IMO, it was a bad idea from the beginning (on multiple levels), and Ludwig should admit (to itself), that it made a mistake and abandon it immediately. Stop throwing good money after bad.
What’s so bad about it? I understand it does have it’s issues and that’s why Josh Allen and INDe Drum Labs came out with the BR2 and BR3 brackets. Those brackets are awesome! Oh and we mustn’t forget Ludwig’s Triad brackets as well, Allen’s last design for Ludwig.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, have the also axed the ATLAS Arch/Rail mount system that attaches to the Atlas lug/mount?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
What’s so bad about it? I understand it does have it’s issues and that’s why Josh Allen and INDe Drum Labs came out with the BR2 and BR3 brackets. Those brackets are awesome! Oh and we mustn’t forget Ludwig’s Triad brackets as well, Allen’s last design for Ludwig.
- In my experience, mounting a tom bracket from the lug position, bearing the weight of the drum so close to the edge, significantly chokes the drum. It exacerbates a problem it is supposed to solve.

- It’s so protruding that it requires oversized cases/bags and appears to create undue risk of damage to the shell if dropped on the bracket, especially a heavy drum like a floor tom.

- It’s ugly.

JMO!

PS: IMO, The classic bracket is one if the better looking brackets out there. It seems that, if Ludwig wants to market an isolation mount, minor modification to that design is the way to go. But, if nothing else, Ludwig, please standardize the hole spacing!

Last edited:

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If they still invent hardware themselves, maybe it’s time to find a company to outsource the development and fabrication control (kind like gretsch to Gibraltar). Generally I see ludwig hardware comes with good ideas dressed in poor execution and final product.
Their hardware is behind other companies and Japan trio (Yamaha,Tama,Pearl)

actionjcl

Reaction score
If they still invent hardware themselves, maybe it’s time to find a company to outsource the development and fabrication control (kind like gretsch to Gibraltar). Generally I see ludwig hardware comes with good ideas dressed in poor execution and final product.
Their hardware is behind other companies and Japan trio (Yamaha,Tama,Pearl)
Not so fast, I feel the Pillar Clutch is one of the best snare stands Ludwig has ever come out with. It has sparked the Japanese trio to come out with competitors to it. Now the Atlas Standard is the worst of the bunch, they really didn’t put much thought into the line.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PS: IMO, The classic bracket is one if the better looking brackets out there. It seems that, if Ludwig wants to market an isolation mount, minor modification to that design is the way to go.
+1 and since it doesn't choke the drum that much to begin with, it should be easier to design it to open it up even more.
If Ludwig decides to discontinue all Atlas and Triad I think I'll go Gretsch... I think it's just a supply chain issue, but I'll probably still go pragmatic.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig seems to have a lot of confusion with new products and bad marketing that doesn't pan out.........not only this Atlas hardware attempt, but also new lines/levels of drum shells (i.e. EPIC, etc.) that are soon abandoned and their owners left to lose badly with any try at resale.

Such a great name with a great history -- stick with a few winners and give up trying to compete with inferior offerings.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I like my atlas classic stands, and the pillar clutch snare stand is the best I've found for mounting a rack tom. The atlas mount and rail were a little too bulky for me, I opted for the inde equivalent. The rest of the line was great.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Ludwig seems to have a lot of confusion with new products and bad marketing that doesn't pan out.........not only this Atlas hardware attempt, but also new lines/levels of drum shells (i.e. EPIC, etc.) that are soon abandoned and their owners left to lose badly with any try at resale.

Such a great name with a great history -- stick with a few winners and give up trying to compete with inferior offerings.
It usually has to do with the supply chain and price points not being able to be met anymore. Remember the all maple Centennial kits? It’s not that they didn’t sell well, they actually sold very well, it’s just they couldn’t meet the price points anymore and uping the prices would interfere with the Classic Maple line.

Last edited: