RIP Ludwig Atlas… Again

actionjcl

Reaction score
+1 and since it doesn't choke the drum that much to begin with, it should be easier to design it to open it up even more.
If Ludwig decides to discontinue all Atlas and Triad I think I'll go Gretsch... I think it's just a supply chain issue, but I'll probably still go pragmatic.
I doubt Ludwig would just discontinue the A.T.L.A.S. mount and/or Triad bracket, but then again, I wouldn’t put it past them. If they do, they have to have something better up their sleeves as a replacement or they are going to alienate a lot of their customers.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig seems to have a lot of confusion with new products and bad marketing that doesn't pan out.........not only this Atlas hardware attempt, but also new lines/levels of drum shells (i.e. EPIC, etc.) that are soon abandoned and their owners left to lose badly with any try at resale.

Such a great name with a great history -- stick with a few winners and give up trying to compete with inferior offerings.
And the best looking, classiest, badges and lugs evah!

mandrum

Reaction score
The complaint I have about the Atlas mounts and brackets is the weight not the function. The tom bracket does not choke out my drums at all. If they come up with something else so be it and if they eliminate it so be it. The Atlas classic stands are very light weight but cheaply made.

actionjcl

Reaction score
The complaint I have about the Atlas mounts and brackets is the weight not the function. The tom bracket does not choke out my drums at all. If they come up with something else so be it and if they eliminate it so be it. The Atlas classic stands are very light weight but cheaply made.
They were much heavier than the flat based stands of the 60’s, but the lightest of what they offered. I didn’t notice that they were cheaply made. Now the Atlas Standard is a joke in comparison to other offerings in that price range from other brands (like Yamaha, Pearl, and Tama). It’s almost as if they took some of their previous offerings and just slapped a new feature or two on it (like the Aero gearless tilter on it’s cymbal stands). The snare stand in the series is certainly nothing new as it’s just a previous style that has been rebranded. Now Josh Allen did the best he could with what Conn-Selmer gave him to work with at the time, just hopefully this time the’ve realized just how much R&D it takes to make a substantial product in all price points.

actionjcl

Reaction score
I never
I’ve never liked the Atlas mount due to how heavy and bulky it is, but thought the idea was certainly interesting. I much prefer the light weight and low profile INDe offerings.

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most of that hardware is still on their website. The vintage-style stands are gone. They will have to come up with something. Lots of margin in parts and stands. I do know that a lot of their artists use DW pedals and stands.

Not sure what the problem is.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The drum shops in my part of the world never stock Atlas hardwares - they are special order items like most anything Ludwig. My first hardware set was an Atlas Standard, special ordered together with my Club Date set, and it's still rock solid to this day.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Legacy Maples at Pro Drum Shop in 2013 they stocked Ludwig hardware. I bought 6 or 7 Atlas Classic cymbal stands and a LAP23SSL (pillar clutch) snare stand and they were all in stock. According to Stan, over the years the Ludwig hardware lines just didn't sell well against the competition (DW, Tama, Yamaha, Gibraltar). When I wanted a couple of Ludwig Atlas accessories last year Pro Drum no longer stocked them and Stan had to order them (delivery took a couple of months). It seems to me that these days when drummers think "hardware", there are lots of names that come to mind before "Ludwig" does.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree and my drums sing for ever. I already had invested in the ATLAS tom mounts by the time the INDe mounts came on the market. So I'm not making any changes and they fit fine in the Ahead tear drop cases. As for stands, personally I like the Tama stands; top quality products and the prices are reasonable. However there was mistake made at the factory when they made the ATLAS double tom mount. It's small, strong and looks nice but the locking bolts would slip of the end of the retaining fork. They replaced the one I had but it turned out to be the same. I have no idea if they have fixed the problem or not.

sherm

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not so fast, I feel the Pillar Clutch is one of the best snare stands Ludwig has ever come out with. It has sparked the Japanese trio to come out with competitors to it. Now the Atlas Standard is the worst of the bunch, they really didn’t put much thought into the line.
The problem is that competitors do it better. I wish I could love ludwig hardware like I do their drums and speed kings.
They miss that final touch in material supply for manufacturing. If I could get into their procedures and management I could probably identify where the problem is.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TAMA has so many great hardware choices (including clamps), I don't think first of any other provider.
Cymbal and hi hat stands are simple and stable...…….my Speed Cobras are 8 years old and still perfect.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Ludwig’s problem is Conn-Selmer, though without them, I doubt Ludwig would still be the company it is today. It probably would have gone the route of so many of the other greats of the 60’s and 70’s (Slingerlands, Rogers, Leedy, etc.). Conn-Selmer wants Ludwig to succeed, but they don’t understand the drum market well enough and end up making stupid moves (think Ludwig WeatherMaster drum heads). I mean yes they weren’t the most popular drumheads on the market by any stretch, but they had a loyal following.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
I never

I’ve never liked the Atlas mount due to how heavy and bulky it is, but thought the idea was certainly interesting. I much prefer the light weight and low profile INDe offerings.
I agree completely. The lug-mounted tom and bass drum ATLAS mounts required larger drum bags and were too bulky and heavy. I substituted the INDe mounts and now I'm thrilled. I still like the ATLAS bass drum mounted tom holder, though. And I also like the ATLAS design on that series' wing nuts.

Here's some pics to show you a comparison between the ATLAS mounts and the INDe's insofar as the bulk of the former.
I took these shots as I was swapping the ATLAS mounts for the INde's.
INDE bracket replacement for Luwig ATLAS_c.jpg
INDE bracket replacement for Luwig ATLAS_e.jpg
Ludwig ClassicMaples ChampagneSparkle 14x18_Spurs.jpg
INDe spur bracket_a.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atlas, Hercules....at some point they run out of Greek Deities.....I'd love good old "Ludwig 1A" or somethng easy to remember. or "Ludwig Retro Plus" (same design better execution)
Maybe they'll come up with the "Neptune" line, Stainless-steel hardware!

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new Atlas stuff came out a decade ago- some people are talking about it as if it came out last year and was quickly discontinued......

actionjcl

Reaction score
I agree completely. The lug-mounted tom and bass drum ATLAS mounts required larger drum bags and were too bulky and heavy. I substituted the INDe mounts and now I'm thrilled. I still like the ATLAS bass drum mounted tom holder, though. And I also like the ATLAS design on that series' wing nuts.

Here's some pics to show you a comparison between the ATLAS mounts and the INDe's insofar as the bulk of the former.
I took these shots as I was swapping the ATLAS mounts for the INde's. View attachment 521773 View attachment 521774 View attachment 521775 View attachment 521776
What kind of brackets do you use on your floor tom? I find that on my Ludwigs, the Classic bracket is perfectly fine and looks good too. For mounted toms though, INDe is the only way to go.

actionjcl

Reaction score
The new Atlas stuff came out a decade ago- some people are talking about it as if it came out last year and was quickly discontinued......
I hear ya, but in that amount of time it is a shame they couldn’t even improve upon or innovate the lines further. Basically the lines went unchanged up until now when they finally decided to ditch the Atlas name again. Hopefully instead of just ditching the Atlas name and slapping their name in generic stock hardware, they actually took what they already had and improved upon it, like they did with the Speed Flyer and the legendary Speed King.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
What kind of brackets do you use on your floor tom? I find that on my Ludwigs, the Classic bracket is perfectly fine and looks good too. For mounted toms though, INDe is the only way to go.
I’m with you 100%, actionjcl.
Here’s a shot of my 20x14 kit showing the Classic floor tom brackets. Dependable and the FT retains a nice resonant tone.

BB02B156-8894-4470-8C51-EDAD204D0954.jpeg

actionjcl

Reaction score
TAMA has so many great hardware choices (including clamps), I don't think first of any other provider.
Cymbal and hi hat stands are simple and stable...…….my Speed Cobras are 8 years old and still perfect.
Many of Tama’s hardware offerings look way to overdeveloped, I prefer simplicity yet highly durable and functional, like Ludwig Atlas (especially their Classic and Pro series) or many of Pearl’s offerings. I’m actually digging what I’ve seen with Pearl’s 930s series that were introduced at NAMM 2020, fits the bill perfectly.