RIP Michael Stanley

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opened for him in Ft. Lauderdale at Summers on the Beach many years ago. (1986 or 1987, I'm not sure.) His band was great and he was a super nice guy. (Even after he heard that I was from Pittsburgh.)

I met him again about ten years after that when my band had a gig in Cleveland. He sat in with us for a song. I suggested "He can't love you", he joked about a Pittsburgh band knowing one of his songs and then we played it. Again, he was super nice and said that he remembered me from Ft. Lauderdale.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just remember the “My Town” song. The St. Louis version was on the radio for about a year. I am thinking he had a few version for several towns.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just talking about Micheal Stanley and Donnie Iris to some friends down here in WV. Funny 3-4 hours south and no one heard of either. I said these guys were on the charts in the 80's! Crickets .... I grew in Akron and both were huge names in the area.

MS was huge when I was in jr. high and high school, both guys sold out Blossom music center. I read Donnie Iris was selling real estate around Pittsburgh when not playing music.
RIP Micheal Stanley

langmick

Reaction score
He was pretty big on WDVE in the Burgh when I was growing up, miss those days. I was just starting to get into music, 7th-8th grade. One of the football coaches was a big fan. I played a few times with his bass player in Cleveland. Didn't mention often I was originally from Pittsburgh, but would get into interesting conversations with his crew lol.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Donny Iris open for Nazareth back in 1980 , the band about got booed off the stage but the drum solo got an ovation .

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just talking about Micheal Stanley and Donnie Iris to some friends down here in WV. Funny 3-4 hours south and no one heard of either. I said these guys were on the charts in the 80's! Crickets .... I grew in Akron and both were huge names in the area.

MS was huge when I was in jr. high and high school, both guys sold out Blossom music center. I read Donnie Iris was selling real estate around Pittsburgh when not playing music.
RIP Micheal Stanley
Donnie retired from doing mortgages. He is 78 years young now.