Risen drums to Franklin drum co?

codydee12

Reaction score
Has anyone seen much/heard about risen changing their name to Franklin Drums? I have loved the drums risen put out over the years. Curious why they are starting “from scratch”.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can’t think of a name with less character than Franklin Drums

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a change in the ownership of Risen Drums awhile ago, and none of the original founders of the company are involved any longer. Maybe the new ownership wanted a clean break.

codydee12

Reaction score
There was a change in the ownership of Risen Drums awhile ago, and none of the original founders of the company are involved any longer. Maybe the new ownership wanted a clean break.
That would make sense. I didn’t realize they had changed owners as well. Curious how this will play out for them.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Risen was just a Keller shell builder of which there were many Keller builders back in their time. Yes, they were very much in to the Gospel/Church drummer scene.

larold

Reaction score
I briefly owned a Risen stave snare, so they must have used other shells than just Keller. It was the worst snare I ever played. Whoever cut the snare bed had no idea what they were doing.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they were very much in to the Gospel/Church drummer scene.
How is this even a thing? Those guys are all about Heartbeat cymbals these days. 17+ in hats and crash riding 24" jazz rides...

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It would be one thing if it were a name brand like Ludwig as you’d be a fool to change that name.

I don’t know that Risen enjoys that great of a reputation. I had a shell built by one of their suppliers and it was pretty nice. But I haven’t heard the Risen name in a very long time and had assumed they were in oblivion. May as well change the name and identity of the company.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe they were one of those drum assembler companies that would prey on young and impressionable drummers using the religious angle and the "discount" custom kit endorsement model. It used to be very common to see a post from a youngster who had just been "endorsed" by one of these drum companies and wanted to show off their "custom" drum set that they had gotten at a "huge discount" because of the "endorsement". The kits were usually made of generic parts with ridiculous finishes and sizes. The "discounted" price they paid was usually what you could buy a exotic finish DW or other high end drum set. If you went to their website it would have tons of unrecognizable names of drummers under their artists page. It was very common to later see the same youngster trying to sell them for big bucks only to find out that what they had bought had zero resale value.

I can't say I am sad to see they are no longer a going concern.

codydee12

Reaction score
It would be one thing if it were a name brand like Ludwig as you’d be a fool to change that name.

I don’t know that Risen enjoys that great of a reputation. I had a shell built by one of their suppliers and it was pretty nice. But I haven’t heard the Risen name in a very long time and had assumed they were in oblivion. May as well change the name and identity of the company.
I guess I just grew up seeing Lester Estelle on those kits and now Petar with Cory Wong uses a shallow kit from risen. Caught me by surprise.

exliontamer

Reaction score
I can’t think of a name with less character than Franklin Drums
For sure. Even CB-700 is more thought provoking. At least it sounds like a 70s dirt bike. You see a lot of Risen shells on Craigslist in my neck of the woods(there's a lot of giant "Fort God" type churches everywhere). Risen is kind of like the Christian music scene in the sense that they're about 15-20 years behind goofy trends so you see a lot of 20x22 emo cannon kick drums everywhere. No disrespect intended if you like kick drums that size. Especially if your name is Alex Van Halen.