header.nohb.html

Risers

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever build a small riser, simple to put together, easy to transport (yea right). I think about it at times then think of transporting it, then forget about it. LOL

Just wondering if you use one and build your own. I was thinking of one 6x6 ft x maybe 12" high with a Lincoln log style support system??

sherm

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't see any way how a drummer could reasonably deal with transporting, setting up and breaking down a drum riser in addition to everything else. I would never sign up for that!

Also, I don't think 6x6 would be a reasonable size. Our rider specifies an 8x8 riser (to be fair, we play theaters and performing arts centers with large stages), and while there is plenty of depth to go around, a width of 6 feet would be tight with cymbal and mic stands.

I was pleasantly surprised by an Intellistage riser, several years ago in Florida. It looked like it would be weak and wobbly, but it was surprisingly stable and strong. 8x8 and 16" high looks to cost around $1650 without skirting at Sweetwater.

Last edited:

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I built and gigged on one for 8 years. Pics in thread below

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know that @DamnSingerAlsoDrums owns and uses a drum riser, but I don't know if he built it himself or not.
We had ours built by a shop that usually does sets and stuff for theater productions. It wasn't exactly cheap (3k can$) but it included the custom welded transport rack and the red velvet removeable skirting.

Still, not a solution I'd recommend for casual giggers.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see any way how a drummer could reasonably deal with transporting, setting up and breaking down a drum riser in addition to everything else. I would never sign up for that!

Also, I don't think 6x6 would be a reasonable size. Our rider specifies an 8x8 riser (to be fair, we play theaters and performing arts centers with large stages), and while there is plenty of depth to go around, a width of 6 feet would be tight with cymbal and mic stands.

I was pleasantly surprised by an Intellistage riser, several years ago in Florida. It looked like it would be weak and wobbly, but it was surprisingly stable and strong. 8x8 and 16" high looks to cost around $1650 without skirting at Sweetwater.

Well, my 5 piece set just edges over my 5x5' rubber pad, a 6x6' I think would be fine for me and money wise I'd have to build it my self. And I know that wouldn't be light weight.

sherm

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my 5 piece set just edges over my 5x5' rubber pad, a 6x6' I think would be fine for me and money wise I'd have to build it my self. And I know that wouldn't be light weight.

sherm
Do your mic stands also fit on the rug? That's the biggest "oh dang, didn't think about that" I've seen when people try to use risers. You either need to get a riser that can fit the stands, or have stands that can go high enough / reach far enough to be off the riser (which may be a challenge, depending on the height of the riser)

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your mic stands also fit on the rug? That's the biggest "oh dang, didn't think about that" I've seen when people try to use risers. You either need to get a riser that can fit the stands, or have stands that can go high enough / reach far enough to be off the riser (which may be a challenge, depending on the height of the riser)
Good question. I have one bass drum mic stand and one overhead mic stand but that wouldn't be a problem. All other mic's clamp to the rims and I don't use mic's at all venues, I wouldn't even need a riser at all venues.

I appreciate all the replays, I was just wondering if someone had come up with something I hadn't seen and I could deal with.

Thanks,
sherm

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well for one thing I can see all the good looking ladies better as they dance by the band stand. LOL Actually I feel I can hear the overall band sound better. I'm a listener type musician and take my ques from instruments and of course singers when playing. I'm not a glory hog and I don't need to be very high but, I don't know, I guess I feel more secure being able to hear the full band sound and feel like I'm driving the bus. Even though it's the bass man that's giving us the direction down that dark road. Plus there are times on some stages where everyone is crowded around and blocking the sound/tone coming from the drums. I have had some dancers tell me they are having trouble hearing a good down beat to dance by. I'm not a hard hitter type drummer but in crowded situations I tend to play a more staccato type beat.

I'm thinking even if it's only 6 to 8" lift it would help the sound to cut through the band in some venues.

sherm