Risky but rewarding hi hat experiment

jbormann

Reaction score
So I had a pair of 15" Soultone Custom Series hats. I got them super cheap used and after about 2 months the bottom (yep, you read that right) cracked. I didn't catch it until it was about 1" long. I cut out the crack with minimal effect to the overall sound but I just wasn't quite happy with them. Being that the repair put their worth at next to nothing I decided to bring them to work and sandblast them (or glassbead rather we call it) with low psi and silica sand. Holy smokes did it make a difference! I did quite a bit (enough to remove all the outer logos and a little more) amd it even seemed to lighten them up a little, which was fine by me. I eneded selling them today for what I originally paid pre-crack. Hoping to get some 16" and do the same now, maybe to a Custom top and pair it with a Natural bottom. I tried to attach a clip I made with my phone but it says I don't have an allowed extension. Not sure what that means. Clip really doesn't do them justice anyhow as I don't have access to any proper audio eqipment.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So we have a report of hi-hat molestation...that supposedly resulted in an auditory pleasant surprise...

But NO pics and NO soundfile?

What are we supposed to do we this post jbormann?

Lol

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always associated risky and rewarding as putting down a $1,000 bet on a black jack hand and winning. I'm happy for ya though you done good!

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m kind of surprised sandblasted cymbals aren’t more of a thing. They look cool, and I would guess the process would provide the tonal mellowing that many drummers seek.

jbormann

Reaction score
I’m kind of surprised sandblasted cymbals aren’t more of a thing. They look cool, and I would guess the process would provide the tonal mellowing that many drummers seek.
It really mellowed them out. They were a bit bright fo me, not like an A Custom but still too much for my taste. Gave them a nicer slosh when played loose and killed the somewhat overpowering ring they had when fully open.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
They look like Meinl's Byzance sand ride........the secret's out!

I've always wanted to tie some cymbals to a string and walk on the beach dragging them behind me to add patina & mojo........or at least something fishy......

rimtap

Reaction score
I wonder how much it would cost to have a cymbal or two sandblasted, since I don't work at place like you do? Would a shop even do something like that for an individual?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, jbormann!

Looks pretty cool. Someone help him get a sound file up.

Next-get his address and what he would charge to similarly treat a pair of hats.... ;)

Mr. Bormann may have inadvertently started a company!