Rivet Placement

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like one. Sometimes but rare, I have two. On my flat ride, I have 3. My "normal" position is 12:00 (assuming you are at 6:00). Put the cymbal on your stand and let it hang. Then I go in 1.5". If I add two, I will go in, and 3" each way. If I go 3, I then go 3:00, 9:00 and 12:00. Rare I do more than that.....and I just hate hate hate the 3 hole rivet clusters......ugh!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just hate hate hate the 3 hole rivet clusters......ugh!
I wouldn't put in rivets like that myself, but I wonder if I could tell blindfolded.
I imagine wider spacing like the ones you mention sound wider, more stereo or something, but not sure it's really audible.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I like one. Sometimes but rare, I have two. On my flat ride, I have 3. My "normal" position is 12:00 (assuming you are at 6:00). Put the cymbal on your stand and let it hang. Then I go in 1.5". If I add two, I will go in, and 3" each way. If I go 3, I then go 3:00, 9:00 and 12:00. Rare I do more than that.....and I just hate hate hate the 3 hole rivet clusters......ugh!
Funny, I didn't do the cluster not so much for the sound difference, if there is any, but because I was told that many people don't like it and it could affect resale value. So I made the safe play and did 12/4/8

One rivet seemed good for crashing because it rings forever, but not as good for riding because it doesn't have much sizzle. Three seemed better for riding because it sizzled.

Agop Tomurcuk

Reaction score
I tried some different patterns on some cymbals, but my favourite was kind of a sizzle chain. Just put the chain into a felt washer and that's it.

Latest posts