Riveting my K Custom Organic Ride

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Posting here to talk my decision out and get some feedback from all of you knowledgable people, so please have at it.

I recently bought a K Custom Organic Ride, and have been enjoying playing it and watching the thing change colours by the day. I've also been listening to lots of the K Custom Left Side Ride on youtube, and think it uses the contrast between the wet rivet sound and the very dry cymbal sound to great effect. I have three other rides, but no cymbals with rivets. I do have the tools and the wherewithal to do the job, and some Zildjian rivets on their way to my mailbox. I prefer my other rides as main rides over the Organic Ride, and would like to add even more character and sustain to it and add another texture to my toolkit. I'm thinking the cymbal itself is somewhat similar to the Left Side Ride, but projects more and is more crashable. It's quite dry overall, with a pretty metallic ping to it and a subtle, dark wash. So I'm thinking of installing three rivets in the same positioning as the Left Side Ride, and figure I should end up with a beautiful cymbal sound.

Suggestions? Doubts? Tips? Tricks? Enthusiastic support? Bring it!

I have a video clip of what the ride currently sounds like, but every time I try to attach it I'm told the file extension isn't acceptable. Will keep trying....

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like plan. Have you tried a chain on the cymbal already? Ou could also tie some rivets to a string (I'd tape this to the cymbal near the edge). That way you can decide how you like it, how many rivets to use etc.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I just put rivets in an 18" cymbal, and did a thread on it called "Rivet Placement" you might want to check out.

I went with three rivets in the 12/4/8 position. I tried one, which was great for crashing because it gave a long sizzle and didn't muffle the cymbal at all, but didn't do much for the ride. Three rivets was much better for riding, as you could hear the sizzle much better, but the crash suffered a little because three rivets muffled the cymbal a bit. Nothing to serious, but you could hear it. So, if your going for a sizzle when riding, three rivets, and if your looking for some sizzle in the crash, just one. That's what I found anyway, others might disagree.

I was also told many drummers don't like clustering rivets, so it could affect re-sale. Sound wise, there isn't much difference.

Good luck!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the 3 rivet cluster or "row" and have only ever had one issue with resale on riveted cymbals. Just make sure you put the rivets on the light side of the cymbal-- the side that's highest and usually furthest away from you. Most cymbals, as you probably know, don't have perfect weight distribution. For a lot of cymbals, one rivet suffices.

The suggestion to try a string of rivets is a good one. I take a piece of snare cord and pinch a rivet or two on one end and then wrap the other end around the threaded post of the cymbal and tuck it under a cymbal felt. If you like the sound that way, you'll like your cymbal with rivets in it.

Reaction score
Sounds like plan. Have you tried a chain on the cymbal already? Ou could also tie some rivets to a string (I'd tape this to the cymbal near the edge). That way you can decide how you like it, how many rivets to use etc.
I have tried a chain, and there's a really beautiful separation between the stick sound, the darker wash and the ongoing sizzle of the chain. The sizzle sound really seems to give this ride more layers of complexity and texture. Great suggestion though, especially if I hadn't tried it!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't like the 3 rivet cluster. I like 3, 9 and 12 if you are sitting at 6:00....and I like 1.5" in from the edge.

Also, put painters tape on the cymbal to keep the drill bit from slipping. Pretty easy project. Do a before and after sound file please...
What is the difference sonically if there is one?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have chains and rivets. The chain is nice if you want to switch between sizzle and non sizzle on the same cymbal but rivets give a more refined and consistent sound. I have some with 6 or 8 all the way round and some with the three cluster which I prefer. The thing I dislike about chains is that they get in the way of hitting certain parts of the cymbal. It is especially annoying on the bell.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember when I was a kid that a guy we knew had a cymbal w rivets only they were the brass brad things people used to hold 3 hole punch things together. ANy of you ever try that? Can those things even be purchased any more?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
What is the difference sonically if there is one?
I don't know really. Visually the cluster looks ugly to me. Sonically, I think as the cymbal vibrates, rivets across from each other will tend to sizzle more than ones in a small area since if that part of the cymbal is not shaking at a particular moment, none of the rivets will make much sizzle. I guess it's part my non-scientific ignorance and part having owned and played vintage cymbals with rivets all around (pre-cluster designs). Also nobody else does clusters so as much as I love and respect Z.Co., I wonder about that design.

I have a 20" K con light on my kit now with 3 clusters. At least they are in the right place (12:00 to me sitting at 6), but even 3 rivets only just sound like one as the rivet sound isn't spaced evenly around. My 19" flat ride, to which I added 3 rivets at 9, 12, and 3:00, has a much more even rivet sizzle to my ear......and if I want to accentuate a rivet, I don't have to reach to the rear of the cymbal yo do that. You could put the cluster on the 6 side but it would get in the way of playing.

I like the 4/8/12 layout too for that reason...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I seem to remember when I was a kid that a guy we knew had a cymbal w rivets only they were the brass brad things people used to hold 3 hole punch things together. ANy of you ever try that? Can those things even be purchased any more?
Yes and yes. But they don't sizzle like real Zildjian rivets. They are just easier to slip on and off.

As an aside, I've always had a problem trying to flare the open end of a rivet. The other day I used my Dremel with a circular disc and made a little X about 1/8" deep, and it works perfectly. I used a bottlenose plier to flare them out and it looks clean.....

20200605_145432.jpg

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe, do you even need holes for those? Could you just clip them to the edge?
I imagine they'd fly off after a good crash or two, but it just might be enough for someone on the fence about rivets to get an idea how it'd sound.

Reaction score
Ok, apologies for the delay and the poor sound quality, but here's a video of me playing the Organic Ride. While the audio isn't ideal, it gives you a pretty good idea of the sound of this ride. I'd love to hear any thoughts with regards to riveting this cymbal as opposed to one with more sustain. Will post another video post-riveting soon enough.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dude, there’s something wrong with your camera. Your kit looks like your kit is set up backwards.
;)

Last edited:

Latest posts