Road Trip = Fall/Winter project - Pearl Fiberglass Kit

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been searching for a Pearl Fiberglass kit for a while now. One popped up the other day, albeit in Delaware. I had some time to kill and felt a road trip was in order. He offered a 4 pc (22/12/13/16) Pearl Fiberglass kit, a 6.5x14 Pearl Steel snare with stand, a Gibraltar kick pedal, pearl hi-hat stand with 14" ZBT Zildjians, an 18" ZBT crash with stand, and a 2923 gram 22" 60's Zildjian A with stand. I left the ZBT cymbals, cymbal stands and the Gibraltar pedal there. He also threw in another 4 pc Pearl wood kit to use for hardware lacking on the fiberglass kit. All the hardware has been stripped and is taking a dawn soak. All the wrap has been taken off the fiberglass shells, revealing some flaws and extra holes... nothing that can't be dealt with. Not a bad haul for $150 - the 22" A and the 6.5 x 14 steel Pearl are worth that alone to me. Here they are all cleaned up... that Pearl snare is a real corker!!! I'll post pics of the Pearl fiberglass project as I go...

IMG_20190827_105246428_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190827_105338220.jpg
IMG_20190826_194400504.jpg
69084094_2568255086530618_8539936525519945728_n.jpg

Last edited:

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Next project staged and ready to go! Going to go for a poor man's Blaemire vibe... raw, translucent, golden honey shells, natural maple bass hoops and some INDe mounts for bass, toms and floor tom. Going for a virgin bass, 12 and 13 on a floor stand. Should be a fun one!
IMG_20190827_200349377.jpg

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Next project staged and ready to go! Going to go for a poor man's Blaemire vibe... raw, translucent, golden honey shells, natural maple bass hoops and some INDe mounts for bass, toms and floor tom. Going for a virgin bass, 12 and 13 on a floor stand. Should be a fun one!

View attachment 408196
Sweet!
How do the lugs look?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Part of the deal was a 2nd 4 pc. wooden Pearl kit with the majority of the lugs present. I should be able to put together a decent set for each drum, being that I've got over 100 Pearl lugs soaking in Dawn at this moment. I'll just have to grade them as I clean them and keep the best for the project kit. Also entertaining the idea that I can find some lugs that fit Pearl lug post spacing.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Part of the deal was a 2nd 4 pc. Pearl kit with the majority of the lugs present. I should be able to put together a decent set for each drum. I'll just have to grade them as I clean them and keep the best for the project kit. Also entertaining the idea that I can find some lugs that fit Pearl lug post spacing.
I'm sure you can. Probably relatively expensive compared to the alternative.
I like the idea of having a "Parts Kit".
Can't wait to see em when they're done. You're not going to do a clear coat of any kind? Just raw?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone was a busy guy today... not only sanded the bass and floor, I also polished 111 bass and tom lugs this afternoon! 40 smaller, heavier old school tom lugs, 40 larger, lighter newer tom lugs, 16 smaller heavier bass lugs, 15 lighter larger bass lugs and 2 sets of newer and older style floor tom leg mounts. Came out pretty nice! Should have no problem putting together a presentable set of lugs and mounts for this project. Next task is to grade the lugs by condition. I'm going to have a glut of leftover parts from this project. If anyone needs any Old school Pearl hardware, that includes the old school bass tom mount that looks like Rogers on steroids, drop me a PM and you can have anything leftover for the cost of asking and shipping.

0.jpg

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
Someone was a busy guy today... not only sanded the bass and floor, I also polished 111 bass and tom lugs this afternoon! 40 smaller, heavier old school tom lugs, 40 larger, lighter newer tom lugs, 16 smaller heavier bass lugs, 15 lighter larger bass lugs and 2 sets of newer and older style floor tom leg mounts. Came out pretty nice! Should have no problem putting together a presentable set of lugs and mounts for this project. Next task is to grade the lugs by condition. I'm going to have a glut of leftover parts from this project. If anyone needs any Old school Pearl hardware, that includes the old school bass tom mount that looks like Rogers on steroids, drop me a PM and you can have anything leftover for the cost of asking and shipping.

View attachment 409118

I would love these! I actually need some to convert a couple of my Blemires into double sided toms

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had to nix the virgin Bass ambitions. Went as far as sourcing LED lamps sockets to light up these shells, but couldn't come up with anything that didn't look hokey. So I'm going to set them up with the usual 2 toms atop the kick. As much as I dislike the Pearl plumbing hardware, I'm going to use the Gibraltar ball mounts. I also picked up some nice maple hoops and ordered the INDe bass spur upgrade as well as a 3 pack of INDe floor Tom leg mounts. Next step is to poly the shells with satin water based urethane. Pics to come soon...
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score

View attachment 409118
Awesome project! Any chance you will have any old badges left over that you won't be using? I have a late '70s Pearl COB Jupiter snare that's missing it's Pearl badge. I've been trying to track one down for a while now.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The badges are nothing but a heavy foil and have taken some lumps over the years... your's if you want them. Just PM me an address and I'll get them out to you.

Untitled.jpg

You may be able to cut around the outer border, smooth the them out, them reapply to another piece of rectangular black foil, like so...

pearl badge.jpg

Or just use them cut out around the border...

pearl badge 2.jpg

Last edited:

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Progress on the Pearl Fiberglass project (AKA: poor man's Blaemire) to date. I'm waiting for my heads to come in... going with Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on batter side and Evans frosted 10 mil for reso side. Going to use an Evans EMAD for bass batter with an Aquarian American Vintage single ply 10 mil head for the resonant.. Pearl Fiberglass shells were sealed with a water based satin polyurethane. Received the Gibraltar 6ply Maple Hoops, ball/socket type mounts retrofitted for Pearl 7/8" hardware and the INDe Spur upgrade...

IMG_20190925_081341884.jpg

IMG_20190925_081427342.jpg

IMG_20190925_081401812.jpg

The 12" tom with a pic of how translucent these shells are...

IMG_20190925_081655197.jpg

IMG_20190925_081809097.jpg

The 13" tom...

IMG_20190925_081842752.jpg

And the 16" Floor tom with INDe Drum Lab XL floor tom bracket upgrade...

IMG_20190925_082121438_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man! Those are looking so sweet! I'm so excited to see them finished! And hear them.

fibes3

Reaction score
Progress on the Pearl Fiberglass project (AKA: poor man's Blaemire) to date. I'm waiting for my heads to come in... going with Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on batter side and Evans frosted 10 mil for reso side. Going to use an Evans EMAD for bass batter with an Aquarian American Vintage single ply 10 mil head for the resonant.. Pearl Fiberglass shells were sealed with a water based satin polyurethane. Received the Gibraltar 6ply Maple Hoops, ball/socket type mounts retrofitted for Pearl 7/8" hardware and the INDe Spur upgrade...

View attachment 411399
View attachment 411398
View attachment 411397

The 12" tom with a pic of how translucent these shells are...

View attachment 411400
View attachment 411401

The 13" tom...

View attachment 411402

And the 16" Floor tom with INDe Drum Lab XL floor tom bracket upgrade...

View attachment 411403
Nicely done sir!
Always fascinated by fiberglass drum manufacturing/restoration.
Did you apply the polyurethane yourself?
Dave

Latest posts