road trip to buy a craigslist drum and visit some drum shops (sam adato, vintage drum bug) in the eugene, oregon area - success!!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
drove about 500 miles in 24 hours with an over night stay to get a champagne sparkle bass off CL. stopped at sam adato's drum shop and visited the large drum barn of the vintage drum bug with our host vinny. both these gentlemen are very serious about drums and drumming and could always use more business. check them out. scored some parts at each place and a drum from vinny. went to jeff's drum station too, but they were gone on vacation for the week.

i am from the seattle area, and can say that central oregon is well served by these fine folks. thanks again to sam and vinny for all their help.

Last edited:

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Met Sam a few weeks back going thru Eugene, very passionate about his craft. Lots of vintage drums and gear. Have my eye on a couple of 14" Ludwig FT's. Check out his website and if ever in the area a must stop.
Coy

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wait, you drove 500 mi for a $300 drum? @.60 cents a mile that's $300 plus a stay over? I'm not sure I see the value here but if you had to have it. Dude wouldn't ship it for $75?

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait, you drove 500 mi for a $300 drum? @.60 cents a mile that's $300 plus a stay over? I'm not sure I see the value here but if you had to have it. Dude wouldn't ship it for $75?

it worked out to about $450 for the drum. wouldn't you pay that for a nice 60's 22'' champagne sparkle bass dropped at your front door? we did not wait around a week and a half for shipping, and have it show up smashed. we met some new drumming friends. we went to some places we had not been, and we found gas for $2.75 a gallon. now my buddy has a 12-16-22 set to play.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey no judging here man. Happy you got the drum.
I’m a numbers guy so that’s what I see first. The $300 from Triple A’s mileage cost which is estimated on gas, wear and tear maintenance on the vehicle, insurance, tolls ect ect all have to be considered into the total cost of the trip. I see 300 for the drum 300 for the trip plus I dunno $69 for the ho tel no tell and maybe a couple bags of doritos and a 6 pk a coke I’d say the trip cost close to 700. I would’ve sent the buddy to fetch his own bass drum