Road trip to pick up...why drums! Imagine that.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I love road trips. Today, I'll be travelling 400 miles to pick up a Yamaha Orange Swirl Club Custom kit someone found for me. I've taken a few and it seems I do this at least once a year. I even deliver drums. Something about getting in the car and the anticipation.

Share your road trips! Oh, and pics later!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Safe travels and congratulations! And yes, road trips are part of the fun for me also.

And then there’s this: “PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!” : ) Enjoy.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Have fun Dan, that's one way to make sure you get the drums delivered safely! I shipped a snare to a forum member in Seattle that is still MIA.... I could of walked it to Seattle by now!

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've done many road trips for gear over the years. Like you said the anticipation makes it fun plus I just love road trips in general.

Heck, back in the mid 90's my long time friend and guitar player decided he wanted a vintage Kramer Pacer guitar. So we drove to Dallas and started scouring pawn shops for one. Believe it or not we actually found one and he bought it. Played that thing for years.

Bet you couldn't do that these days. Hitting pawn shops with a specific piece of vintage gear in mind and actually find it......at a reasonable price no less.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every year I used to drive down to a drum store in Greenbrier Virginia to get a bunch of stuff. 550 miles away. Luckily for me they went under.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Every year I used to drive down to a drum store in Greenbrier Virginia to get a bunch of stuff. 550 miles away. Luckily for me they went under.
Not sure how they went under with you as a customer. Maybe they simply retired on their profits and are living on a beach somewhere...

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I too love road trips but I'm not sure what I would do if after driving 400+ miles the kit didn't turn out to be exactly what I was expecting. Dan has done this before so I'm sure he know the ins and outs of this type of transaction.

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys will go a long way for stuff. That's admirable .. I had to give much deep though driving aroud 50 miles ( Queens to South Jersey ) to pick up a kit and even then I thought it was a long trip :)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A few years back, I drove to Compton (of all places!) on a Friday morning to pick up a set of DW collectors drums in glitter glass in a nice bop config (10/13/16 w/13 snare) - I had to pay cash and be there by 4:30 p.m. Needless to say, I got there at 4:21 p.m., right in the nick of time, but it was SO worth it! I crashed with my buddy in L.A. (former singer in my band) that nite and we rocked out to drums & guitar.

The next day, I drove up from LA to Rohnert Park (about 50 miles north of S.F.) to see another set of DW's - the seller was a jerk, did not describe them properly and it was a failed deal, but it sure was fun! I ended up selling that DW kit for a quite a bit more than I paid and got a mini vacation out of it........

So Dan, good luck and get home safely!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Great price for that many drums!! Someone keep a look out for me too will ya!?!?!?

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great score. I once drove from Orange County to Fresno for a set of 60's Rogers in WMP - 24, 13, 16, 16. Holy cow those drums sounded great. NEVER should have sold them.

Latest posts