Rob Kampa 5x14 solid maple reclaimed from Lake Superior

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a True North solid maple shell I got a long time ago that was supposed to made from reclaimed wood. I let Rob Kampa from Magstar Drums to complete the drum for me. This drum sounds like a Radio King on steroids and there is also some Birdseye present in the shell. 8 brass tube lugs and 2.3 hoops. $550 shipped to the Lower 48.

Attachments

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful drum.I have played a few megastar snares and they were great instruments.Rob really knows his stuff.Another cool thing is that he works with people on a budget so they they can get personalized custom experience at very fair and affordable price point if needed.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful drum.I have played a few megastar snares and they were great instruments.Rob really knows his stuff.Another cool thing is that he works with people on a budget so they they can get personalized custom experience at very fair and affordable price point if needed.
Thanks! I had the shell for about 10 years before I chose Rob to build a drum out of it. I definitely researched builders and he was the name I kept hearing and he did a wonderful job.
Scott

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have just been messaged from WAYNE who made the True North shells, and he has shed some light on this shell- “That shell was from the Muskoka river in very deep cold water for over 125 yrs” so it is NOT from Lake Superior. Thanks for the input Wayne.

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Good luck with the sale. I know there are others out there but any mods I have or need get sent to Rob.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have just been messaged from WAYNE who made the True North shells, and he has shed some light on this shell- “That shell was from the Muskoka river in very deep cold water for over 125 yrs” so it is NOT from Lake Superior. Thanks for the input Wayne.
This Michigander chimes in: maybe not from Superior, but I think Muskoka puts it a few miles east of where the wood that DW used came from, instead emptying into Lake Huron. Plenty cold up there, as many Canucks here will testify. In any case, at 125 years old, that puts this wood in the same crop of old-growth harvesting that gave us the DW drums.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This Michigander chimes in: maybe not from Superior, but I think Muskoka puts it a few miles east of where the wood that DW used came from, instead emptying into Lake Huron. Plenty cold up there, as many Canucks here will testify. In any case, at 125 years old, that puts this wood in the same crop of old-growth harvesting that gave us the DW drums.
Thanks for the intel Stu! This drum really does sound great and will be a good buy for somebody looking for aged maple goodness.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It may not have a TN badge on it, but I,d love to have this one back. I remember when I got the wood shipped, you could smell "fish" for days, and days. Even when we turned the shell, the smell was even stronger. Remember this was under water for approx. 125 years!..I,ll never forget how strong that odor was, which explained why all those ferrel cats showed up at the wood shop.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It may not have a TN badge on it, but I,d love to have this one back. I remember when I got the wood shipped, you could smell "fish" for days, and days. Even when we turned the shell, the smell was even stronger. Remember this was under water for approx. 125 years!..I,ll never forget how strong that odor was, which explained why all those ferrel cats showed up at the wood shop.
Wayne-just message me with a reasonable offer.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Will do Scott.; I just need to stall another drum I,ve been waiting for. Yours caught me off guard, which is a good thing, but I will try and work this out....thx again.

Latest posts